L183 Starlight Bristle Nose Pleco Is my favourite

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi Lisa,

Welcoem and glad you like the Starlight and good luck with its search and getting one. cheers jk :thumbup:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Hi and welcome to plecoplanet:hi:
where abouts in Norfolk are you? we have a few members around your way

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
:hi: Hi Lisa and baby Amber and :confetti:

Great looking fish the L183 and just like the truth they are out there :thumbup:.

:hi: Hi Lisa and baby Amber and :confetti:

Great looking fish the L183 and just like the truth they are out there :thumbup:.
hehehe...you peeps are funny :) So much friendlier than 'some' places I have been. Many thanks for a warm welcome.

Im in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. Probably one of the hardest water areas in the country. Now picking peoples brains as to how to get my water qlty suitable for a nice chunkymonkey Pleco...I love them so! Are Plecs better kept in pairs? :woohoo:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Hiya and welcome to you and baby Amber :clap:

I have recently got some L183s but you need to be careful of immitations as I recently got stung with what were sold as but not the real thing :wb:

There are some breeders of them on the forum though :thumbup:

Plecs don't have to be kept in pairs and generally do very well on their own :yes:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol

Plecs don't have to be kept in pairs and generally do very well on their own :yes:
Some plecos need to be housed alone due to aggressive behavior when adults some like to be in groups, the forum will help you also our profile section can be very useful.
Should you be thinking about buying a pleco this site is loaded with people who can give good advice and tips on care ,water quality and conditions.
Ask before you buy is about the best advice.
On the subject of water quality and keeping plecos.
I always say fishmongers keep fish we keep water.

Regards Bob

CatfishEmpire

May 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia.
Hello and welcome Lisa and baby Amber :hi:
I'm a big fan of the Starlight too, luckily you have come to the right place! Someone here should be able to help point you in the right direction, they are a very helpful bunch :yes:
Good luck with the search...

I only have little Bristlnose at the moment as my tank isnt realy big enough for anything larger. They are just so cute though. Im spending waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time watching him instead of getting on with work...lol..
I DO have a 55gallon tank arriving tomorrow though ;) any suggestions as to what would be a good Plec to go with? :)

I have recently got some L183s but you need to be careful of immitations as I recently got stung with what were sold as but not the real thing :wb:

There are some breeders of them on the forum though :thumbup:

I saw that you and another person both bought imitation L183s from someone here. Ive looked through so many different photos of Plecs and its really hard to id these little fellows. I guess you dont know for sure until you get them home? Bit worrying when some of them are very expensive. Ive been looking at my BNP and to be honest Im not 100% sure myself. He doesnt have a BN lol which could be a pretty good indication but then the females dont have the bobbly nose do they? Or am I chatting rubbish again :dk:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
As juveniles a few BNs look similar to L183, there are a few key distinguishing features of L183 that make them identifyable but it can still be quite difficult. The #1 feature is that L183 have more dorsal rays than other species of BN's. Also, as adults, L183 maintains the white bands while others that look similar as juveniles lose them as adults.

Photos of your plecs, even marginally good ones, can go a long way in providing a positive ID. When you get used to looking at them & know what to look at, BNs are pretty easy to ID (at least enough to place them in the Ancistrus family).

billyjimbo

Sep 16, 2009
Cheshire
Hi and welcome, L183s are one of my favourite BNs, there are some photos of my youngsters in the gallery somewhere.
You will always get sound advice on this site from people who know what they are talking about. Regards, Bill