L046 found dead

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I was gutted to find one of my L046 Zebra Plecos dead this afternoon during a routine water change :(

Tested the water and all is spot on so don't know what happened. I had worried it had got trapped somehow but belly wasn't sunken at all so am puzzled as to what has happened :-/

Don't appear to be any marks on it but it had been dead a couple of days as most of the fins were gone and hardly any colour left on it :(

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Yes temp was normal

Nothing new introduced at all

They had been in and out of caves the last 2 weeks so wondered if perhaps it could have been males fighting for spawning rights?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Most likely if everything else was ok.

Everyone else is fine and acting as normal?

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Bad news :(

sometimes these things happen :(

If it has very little colour left it'll be hard to say if it was fighting :(

What sort of size was it?

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
Sorry for your loss but i have lost many a fish with unexplained reasons everything has seemed well within tank & tankmates & the odd fish that seemed healthy just passes away with no obvious reason :(

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thanks guys I guess I'll just have to put it down to one of those things :huh: but will be watching the remaining 5 very closely.

Russell it was one of the middle size ones, about 2", I still have the 2 larger ones that are about 2.5" now.

Its strange that I expected something whithin the first few weeks of having them due to settling in but not this far down the road :(

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i had a similar thing happen with my group when the largest male decided he was ready to start breeding. All had been fine for 6 months or so since i got them and then i found one in the tank dead, it didnt look too badly marked but had been chewed a bit. The water was fine and everything checked out ok so i put it down to a smaller zeb being trapped in a cave by the large male

sorry for your loss

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
what a shame.
it happened to me not long ago, and i had had him for 2 years.
but had fed some krill a few days earlier which i had never tried before so i wondered if that had been the cause.