L-104 fry keeps dying out.

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Thank you DW

Do you know if it matters whether or not I should crush the Sera Flora flake or leave it whole?

also if anyone has a pointer into how much to feed 8 little fry would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Also, should I be adding wood to the fry saver once the egg sack is gone, or immediately?

Regards

Last edited:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
While they have egg sacks they spin around like crazy and can injure themselves on anything sharp. I would add wood once they can control their movement a little more.
They can practice their sucker mouths on the wood before feeding.

Not a bad idea to crush the flake but not really necessary to power it. If you have any spirulina powder you could add a little of that too.

Other ideas is blanched lettuce or even blanched mulberry leaves.

Their bellies are very small and it is very easy to over feed. Under feeding usually doesn't kill the fry, they just don't grow as fast.

A couple of fry saver box cleaners like cherry shrimp wouldn't hurt either.

If the breeders are too closely related many fry will die and never do well. If losses continue I would look into changing the male or female and see how you go.

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Dear Brengun

Thank you for your advise, they were wild caught but who is to know if they are related,

It does make perfect sense though.

In regards to feeding I am giving them a slice of courgette every other night or Sera flora flakes, couple of crushed flakes per feeding, I am yet to see them eating anything to be honest, they don't seem interested in anything i put in the fry saver.

I have 2 small pieces of soft wood in the saver for them to gnaw on.

I am cleaning the fry saver every other day, I use a small silicone tube to vac the saver. I have 2 couples breeding at the moment, 1 set of fry in the fry saver, lost 1 fry and the ones loose in the tank have lost 6 so far.

the water parameters are sound, I do a 10 litre bucket every day, half bucket filtered water and half RO water.

PH 7.2 or close to that, no Nitrites/Nitrates no chlorine, no amonia. That tank water could be drunk.

have replaced the sharp large gravel for small, almost sand like rounded gravel as to not hurt the fry.

Quickly runing out of ideas and hope :(.

Thanks so much for trying to help Brengun.

Last edited:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I'd pop some snails into the fry saver. I use either MTS or Red Ramshorn. Ingo Seidel uses them and that is a pretty good recommendation.

I've also used Asellus in the past as "egg/fry janitors". I've got plenty spare of all 3 if you want to try them.

You may have seen this recent thread on PC with mention of snails, (your fry don't need as much protein): <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41012>:
There is a breeder here in the U.S. who raises Sturisoma using trout starter chow (very high protein). This is the food fed to trout fry.

He puts them into a shallow plastic container with an airstone and sits them on top of his aquarium. Adding some ramshorn snails is also key. They don't move for food well so keeping the container only 5-8 cm deep works best. Change water twice daily to prevent fouling. The ramshorns help eat unwanted food and may also be providing digestive bacteria for the fry.
cheers Darrel

Last edited:

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Thanks Darrel

Will definitely let you know about the snails, thing is the fry never die at the egg stage, its always when the egg sack is gone or almost gone.

I am not feeding them any meaty foods but I have been recommended to use Sera Flora flakes which contain over 40% protein content... according to others Sera flora is good for them so dont know if I should stick to veggies for the time being and withhold Sera flora flake until they are a bit bigger.

Can stick to Courgette/Cucumber blanched letuce as suggested By brengun.

Will try and take some photos so you guys can advise me according to the size and

stage of development.

Regards

Speedforce

Jun 5, 2013
London
Dear all

Hope all is well.

From 2 batches around 18 fry, I am down to 2 and I suspect is a matter of time before those 2 die off as well.

I am just wondering, if the water is good enough for the parents to breed in and the fry survive the most crucial stage,

which is when they have the yolk sack attached ETC, stands to reason it would not be water parameters that are killing them…

One important factor to point out is, I have read and been told by forum colleagues that once babies lose the yolk sack they are very hungry,

I however am yet to see any of my fry eat and this is after having many different spawns.

Tried feeding soft wood, courgette, Sera Flora flakes, cucumber, blanched lettuce, you name it :( they will not eat, they don't seem interested at all.

I am on the verge of quitting to spawn the 104’s and try some hypancistrus as they don’t seem as fussy with food etc.

I am inclined to think it is not the water but then why won’t they eat?

If any of you had a similar experience and know if there is anything I am overlooking, please let me know, I am more than happy to listen and try out your ideas.

PS: Prior to babies dying they turn pale and then I find them dead, don’t know if this helps to determine the cause but thought it might help.

Thanks to all in anticipation.

Kind regards

Last edited: