kribensis

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
hi was looking for some advice. I have a male and female krib in a separate tank due to them having fry, the fry are three weeks old and doing good and the parents have been brillient. i have noticed today that the female is nipping the male and he is now hiding and if he comes out she just attacks him? he his tail has been ripped by her. Can anyone suggest what to do should i move the male to another tank or move the female? bear in mind they are both in with their fry. Thanks :)

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hi there- i have raised kribs and this is something that is known to happen. basically the women turn into *****es! You should move the female and it is the male who does the looking after anyway.
hope it works out.
#cc

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
hi there- i have raised kribs and this is something that is known to happen. basically the women turn into *****es! You should move the female and it is the male who does the looking after anyway.
hope it works out.
#cc
Ok thanks but will she be ok on her own as the only krib in my other tank?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
she will be fine- well her other half will be for sure. I am not a fan of just keeping one fish of any kind on its own but you will be abled to return her to the tank when the fry are not dependant on the farther for protection. What size are they? Is there anything else in the tank except the fry and the parents?

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
she will be fine- well her other half will be for sure. I am not a fan of just keeping one fish of any kind on its own but you will be abled to return her to the tank when the fry are not dependant on the farther for protection. What size are they? Is there anything else in the tank except the fry and the parents?
No i dont like keeping just one type of fish either! But guess i have no choice with these. Id say they are half a cm long and theres about twenty of them but its only them and the parents in the tank.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
i love krib babies!! i def stand by my advice- just wait until they are on there feet and put the parents back together but not with the babies!! basically you will end up with a fry rearing tank. good luck . if you have any picture, i'd love to see them.
Make sure you keep a log of all this and the babies growth and make a breeding log- dont think anyone has done a krib one yet.
respects
cc

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
i love krib babies!! i def stand by my advice- just wait until they are on there feet and put the parents back together but not with the babies!! basically you will end up with a fry rearing tank. good luck . if you have any picture, i'd love to see them.
Make sure you keep a log of all this and the babies growth and make a breeding log- dont think anyone has done a krib one yet.
respects
cc
Thankyou. Ok ill move her tonight then. Ill also try and get a pic of them later.

LyndaB

May 11, 2012
Connecticut
Not sure what you have for tank setups, but when I was breeding my kribs, I kept them in my community tank. My lfs wouldn't take the juvies until they were 5 months old, as it's easier to sex them then.

With the exception of one spawn, the female was the primary caregiver. In my 30 gallon, she had plenty of room to chase the male off. As the fry started getting older, the female and male would get into some real nasty fights and she ended up getting lots of fin rips. If they have room to get away from each other, they'll be fine. If you want to keep one adult with the fry, then they'll also be fine.

I loved my kribs but when I started feeling like a nursery maid, and not a fishkeeper, I brought the whole bunch of them to my lfs.

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
Not sure what you have for tank setups, but when I was breeding my kribs, I kept them in my community tank. My lfs wouldn't take the juvies until they were 5 months old, as it's easier to sex them then.

With the exception of one spawn, the female was the primary caregiver. In my 30 gallon, she had plenty of room to chase the male off. As the fry started getting older, the female and male would get into some real nasty fights and she ended up getting lots of fin rips. If they have room to get away from each other, they'll be fine. If you want to keep one adult with the fry, then they'll also be fine.

I loved my kribs but when I started feeling like a nursery maid, and not a fishkeeper, I brought the whole bunch of them to my lfs.
well i had them both in my comm tank but they ate the eggs and were very aggresive towards my corys and rams killing one of them so i thought it was best for them to have their own tank and within 3 weeks she layed eggs. thanks for your advice.

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
Right i have just been to feed them and ive noticed the male is now chasing the fry? is this normal and should i move him instead of the female? thanks

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Once fry ar free-swimming htey are pretty much self-sufficient as long as there aren't predators around. I'd pull the fry & place them in thier own tank to grow out. Sounds liek the male could be getting ready to spawn again.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
!agree with above- if his done his job and they are out and about take him out. at least they will be alive!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
leave the fry on there own- if they are away from the parents out and about (as lornek said) then they no longer need the parents- just food, claen water and fishy love.

:)

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
leave the fry on there own- if they are away from the parents out and about (as lornek said) then they no longer need the parents- just food, claen water and fishy love.

:)
ok ill move them tonight ive taken some photos of them so ill put them on tommrow. thanks again

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
omg! those fry are so cute and the last one is so adorable with the fry and the parent. hope it is going well. cc

kirst_518

Mar 30, 2011
Sussex
omg! those fry are so cute and the last one is so adorable with the fry and the parent. hope it is going well. cc
haha thanks. couldnt get a decent enough photo. They are on there own now ive noticed there arnt as many only about 12 and the were about 25 a few days ago so it was definatly time to move the parents! :)