Is zero nitrate.....a bad thing?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
another tip, if not already mentioned (too drunk to read back 3 pages) is dont over does with water conditioner as this can increase TDS. Also when you do water changes do you add hot water to bring the new water you are going to use up to a similar temp, if you do and use water straight from your hot water supply expect you TDS to be over 600 ish (talking from past experiance)

Smeagol

May 27, 2009
Milton Keynes
Got my tds meter this morning. My tap water base line is 380. My tank water is 430. I dont know much about tds (haven't had time to read up on it yet), but my readings seem quite high.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
if your tap water is testing at 380ppm and your tanks are at 430ppm thats not bad although the tap reading is quite high. Might be worth you looking into getting a HMA filter to reduce the ppm of your tap water before you use it for water changes

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Anglian Water isn't very forthcoming about their water quality, but I did find this <http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/report.aspx>, by claiming that my postcode was MK10 9EN, you should be able to get the results for your actual water with your postcode.

Your water water is pretty hard, about 16.5 dH, so the TDS meter is probably mainly measuring calcium carbonate rather than anything more harmful, it does say the average value for nitrate was 20ppm, although it doesn't say the range, and I'd bet it is a lot higher than that at some times of the year judging from the comments under nitrate. It also some of the water is treated with chloramine, so you'd need a water conditioner that deals with this.

Could you collect rainwater? it's cheaper than a filter or an R.O. unit.

cheers Darrel

Smeagol

May 27, 2009
Milton Keynes
The 430ppm reading was 2 days after a 20% water change, so the average reading may prove to be a bit higher.
Rainwater collection may be something I can look into...
Thanks guys!, you are so helpful!! :clap::clap::clap: