Is this what i think it is?

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Just picked this up an hour ago, it was labled as a Panaque but i dont think it is. Its around 6" with small eyes and a lyre tail. He's pretty stressed atm and looks blacky brown but looks like he's darkening as he settles.

Sorry about the pictures, they dont really help much:

Gary

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Hard to tell from the pic. Additional pics would help but proportions don't look exactly right & eyes not "beady" enough. Also pics on PC totally lack any patterning.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
From what ive seen of L350 (which isnt a lot tbh) they have a more slender profile and body shape, the tail is different also.

Here are a few pics off a Chinese site, interestingly the title of the thread is L90b and L350. I think that yours is what they call L90b.

Heres a comparison between body shape.

Almost definitely L350 imo

What they call L90b

A comparison of the tails.

Heres the full thread , its long but if you have time to wade through it there are some great picshttp://www.aquariumfarm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=105959

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Yup mine is almost identical to the second. Is there any more info on the L90b? is it actually a panaque?

I'm cleaning the tank tomorrow so should be able to get some better pictures.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Is there any more info on the L90b? is it actually a panaque?
:eek:hmy: L090 is Panaque bathyphilus e.g the Papa B-) but luckily thats not what you've got.
If i recall correctly what you have is the Peru Longtail or LDA27/28 (L329) this is sometimes referred to as L090b it is a panaque but only reaches around 7"
Good find :clap:

Sam

Apr 24, 2009
Sussex, UK
Not much help really, but I thought I'd mention it as L90b has been mentioned.
I bought a plec labelled as this, and he turned out to be L351.
Gecko from PF has a L90b - and used to have pics of him in his gallery.

Edit.
Here's the initial thread from PF. Not much help, but Cup talks about the different markings.
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15093&page=2

The conversation moved to Planet Cat. Will add the thread if I can find it. (Forgotten my log in over there!)

Both my L351 and Gecko's L90b have maxed at 7 inches - not including filaments.

Last edited:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
:eek:hmy: L090 is Panaque bathyphilus e.g the Papa B-) but luckily thats not what you've got.
If i recall correctly what you have is the Peru Longtail or LDA27/28 (L329) this is sometimes referred to as L090b it is a panaque but only reaches around 7"
Good find :clap:
Very good, I can add that there is a bit of confusion in the Aqualog regarding all these possible L numbers. L329 and LDA27 are likely to be the juvenile form of LDA28/L90b, but as adults they are virtually unrecognisble in their 'breeding dress'.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Not much help really, but I thought I'd mention it as L90b has been mentioned.
I bought a plec labelled as this, and he turned out to be L351.
Gecko from PF has a L90b - and used to have pics of him in his gallery.

Edit.
Here's the initial thread from PF. Not much help, but Cup talks about the different markings.
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15093&page=2

The conversation moved to Planet Cat. Will add the thread if I can find it. (Forgotten my log in over there!)

Both my L351 and Gecko's L90b have maxed at 7 inches - not including filaments.
Thanks for the link Sam, looks like this isnt going to be as easy as i thought lol

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Very good, I can add that there is a bit of confusion in the Aqualog regarding all these possible L numbers. L329 and LDA27 are likely to be the juvenile form of LDA28/L90b, but as adults they are virtually unrecognisble in their 'breeding dress'.
Also thanks Mat and Terry, I think i need to try get some decent pictures today and we can start eliminating some of these possible IDs.

Thanks for the input.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Good find Gary, once you get a positive ID let me know. If its a Peru fish I'll get you some more.

My L350s & L90a are turning up on Tuesday, I'll get some pics once there settled.

Good Skills

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
hopefully you will get some un-stressed pics soon and that will help. also if he comes on the glass try and get teeth pics. looks like a good fine anyway!!.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Right, after 2 weeks i managed to get a picture. It wasnt easy as he is very quick and my water is nearly black due to the tannins.

Just to add a few details that may not be apparent: He's around 6" plus tail , he's a dark brown/black, he has tail extensions and he's very hairy around his tail.

Thoughts?