I'm upsetting my neighbour!

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Hi all,

My new 14 outlet air pump in my spare room is very quiet and the fish love it BUT the bubbles are apparently so loud my neighbour can't sleep.
I've closed the window and door, covered the back of the tank hoods with towels. I was hoping the styrofoam boxes in the room might help insulate it with no luck. My place is double brick & we sleep fine with air pumps in our room so she must be a light sleeper but it is very loud

I've thought about taking a few of the air lines out, covering where the bubbles comes out from with fly screen to make the bubbles come up smaller and maybe bringing the sponge filters & air stones closer to the surface but I'd prefer not to do that.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Please feel free to throw ideas at me

Thanks a lot
Nat

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Yeah mate. More so through the floor & ceiling!
My fish must think they are back in amazon rapids! haha

Allfinsfishy

Feb 22, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hahahaha that's gold!
I love stirring my neighbors I wish I could say my fish tank bubbles was that loud if I turn my air pumps up any more the water comes out of the tank lol !
Good luck though !

Maxpleco

Sep 20, 2013
Sydney
Hi Nat,

I have seen a decent decrease in the noise by suing an Air Tube , something like this
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Green-Aeration-Airstone-Bubble-Aquarium/dp/B007VCH1UM"]Amazon.com : 18" Green Aeration Tube Airstone Bubble Wall for Fish Tank Aquarium : Aquarium Air Pumps : Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ehr8-CSML.@@AMEPARAM@@31ehr8-CSML[/ame]
The small airstones do make lot of noise ,
you can also use some air regulators to control the flow of air bubbles from the tube,
Hope this helps, will talk more on Saturday ,,

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
Brook, I wouldn't want to upset your neighbours after what I saw on the news haha
Thanks Max but the main bubbles causing the problem come out of my sponge filters.
I could take the air stones out completely & still have enough air from the sponge filters

Allfinsfishy

Feb 22, 2014
Sydney, Australia
OMG NAT I KNOW I WAS EVEN UP WATCHING TV I HEARD THE BAMG IT'S DEADSETTWO MINUTE WALK FROM MY HOUSE ALL OVER TWO IMMATURE TEENS BEING COCKY OVER THE ORIGIN AND WHAT FOR TWO FAMILY'S HAVE LOST THEIR LOVED ONES EDIOTS !

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
You're watching TV, nek minute.... haha

I've fixed the problem! I just cut two of the airlines & let them bleed/run outside the tank & the flow has reduced enough so that it's much quieter!
Cheers

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
the other option would be to try and get a longer hose, place the airmachine outside up high under roof cover and then you will have fresh air with less noise. worth a try do not know if it will work but worth it. cheers jk :thumbup:

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i'd tell my neighbours - dont like the bubbles - get some ear plugs or go live somewhere else... i live a long way from suburbia but i'd be the neighbour from hell if someone pissed me off :)

fishy

Dec 18, 2011
sydney
lol i also lost on this one natt and yalo5 made me laugh for a while as this is one weird topic . good luck