HI, ANOTHER AUSSIE

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
hi, i'm mick.

i have pretty much no clue what i'm doing but i decided i was gonna make an attempt at breeding plec o's and bristlenoses.

i have about 140 of orangespot, peppermint, albino shortfin and albino longfin on the way.
along with
another 10 peppermint bristlenose
5 x l397
8 x l333
5 x l002
5 x l015
and an ldoa

i've set up a few tanks with rain water but i'm not real sure if i should salt the water a little or adjust the ph or anything. gonna feed them zucchini and some more protein rich pellets with the l333 on more protein than the others.

two peppermint pairs are going to go in with my 5 young oscars in a 5 foot tank. another tank i have quite a few plants in and i have put some plant conditioner-food in it to get them to kick off, is it not a good idea to introduce pleco's to this?

all ideas and suggestions are very welcome, please!!!

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
:welcome: Gday and Welcome,

Where are you located in Australia ? Nice L list you have . L333 do prefer a more protein rich diet, L397/L002 are mostly wood eaters etc. Do you test yor rain water regularly ? cheers jk :thumbup:

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
thanks. And no i am an absolute beginner. By test do you mean ph test or nitrate nitrite ammonia test?
Can i keep these l numbers in together in the same tank? What about the bristlenoses?

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ok maybe some homework for you was needed for your Ls that you have.

L015 is omnivore/ protein eaters as is L333, but L333 like some running water, can be kept together.
L002 and L397 are wood/ veggie eaters, like running water but like all Panaqolus/Panaque can interbreed. You basically would need 3 tanks, 1 for L015/L333, the other for L002 and the other for L397. You should not put L002 and/or L397 with the L015 or L333, as wood eaters should not get to much protein in their diet which can cause illness. Also like I mentioned interbreeding. Not something we in the hobby wish for at all interbreeding.
Also be wary of your oskars, they get big and hungry .
It would be nice in which town you live. be careful of rainwater, as parameters can change quickly if it has not rained for a while etc. You should test tank water for all ph/gh/nitrate etc. this is a start. cheers jk :thumbup:

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
should i salt the aquariums?
Can i put any of the l numbers with peppermints, orange spots, or albino long/shortfins. I'm setting the temperatures at about 25c.
I've added some stress zyme bacteria to the water also. Most of the l numbers will be here in two days. The bristlenoses wont be far away either. Thanks for your input

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
Hi and welcome !
I am not an expert like many of the others here, but I know plecs don't like salt , I think is is very unhealthy for them...so please, no salt. Lots of wood as others suggested is great, and caves ,they need to have safe place to hide alone, and caves to mate. hope this advice is ok. Good luck :thumbup: Georgie

bigbird

Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi again,

OK no salt. Also make sure your tanks have been cycled for at least 14days before you get new fish. Ls like established tanks. Good luck and post some pics later...cheers jk :thumbup:

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
i have 7 here atm, 4 tanks with halfway dividers on the way and another 5 tanks -3 divided in 3 and 2 divided in two also on the way.
i want to get on my feet and learn as much as i can then sell off the cheaper breeds like the peps and albinos and buy some of the more expensive and more difficult l250, l260, l046. and keep less tanks but more concentration on the harder fish.
whats your average price in aus for l260 and l250?

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia

I use rain water for my plecos too and usually I am fighting to bring the ph up to even 6.
Get a bit of crushed coral (you dont need much) and add it to your gravel. Calcium carb gravel is ok too but its white and tends to make the plecos fade their colors a bit, so use a mix if you are using gravel at all. If you arent using gravel, add a few bits of coral to the canister filter to push that pH up a bit. To somewhere between 6pH and 7.2pH.

No rush on getting all your plecos at once. If you want to see how your L333's settle in first, I am sure breeders with the L397, L015 etc would hold off sending them to you for a week or so until your tanks are quite stable.

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
the weird thing i found is with the rainwater tanks one is ph neutral and the other one is sky high, off the test card. how do i bring it down?

Big-B

Apr 22, 2009
Kansas City Missouri
I always load my tanks with driftwood. Is there something in the tank that would make it sky-high like that? Rainwater shouldn't be real high. :welcome: to plecoplanet. :hi: