Help with raising cory fry please

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Hello all :hi:

Right i have several groups of corys that spawn on quite a regular basis but i have never really tried to keep the eggs and raise any fry, usually just leave them in the tanks for the plecs to eat, ive had some spawns today from my Pandas and sterbai so thought i would collect the eggs and try and raise them. At the moment i have around 60 eggs in a floating container, i have added an airstone and a drop of meth blue, the containder has no circulation from the main tank so i plan on doing small water changes a few times a day.

so i have a few questions please, any help would be apreciated :yes:

1) will the eggs be ok in container as i have them at the moment?
2) what % of water should be changed before & after the eggs hatch and how many times a day?
3) how long do cory eggs usually take to hatch?
4) if they hatch, big if as i never have much luck with corys will they be ok in this container still or will i need to move them into another fry trap?
5) when and how often should they be fed, will powdered food be ok or would liquifry be better?

thanks in advance

STRAP

scottie73

Apr 21, 2009
hampshire england
Hello all :hi:

so i have a few questions please, any help would be apreciated :yes:

1) will the eggs be ok in container as i have them at the moment?
2) what % of water should be changed before & after the eggs hatch and how many times a day?
3) how long do cory eggs usually take to hatch?
4) if they hatch, big if as i never have much luck with corys will they be ok in this container still or will i need to move them into another fry trap?
5) when and how often should they be fed, will powdered food be ok or would liquifry be better?

i am by no means an expert but have raised a few batches of cory...
answers..

yes they should be fine in the floating container in the tank..i do exactly the same
i do about 20% water changes everyday with tank water,DO NOT PUT OLD WATER back in the tank
eggs can take anything from 3 to 7 days sterbai i think are normally around 5 days..the paleatus i have take 7..
i raised my first batch in their floating tub...then made a bigger acrylic one to move them into..
i fed my first succesful batch on liquifry with no probs,fine flake occasionally,now i feed them microworm...and they seem to love it

hope that is of use..just my experiences...

scottie

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
you dont mention how big the container is? if a good size, like ice cream tub, then will be big enough for fry.
give fry some shelter from light like a bit of wood, weed or broken flower pot
good luck

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
thanks for the help.

the tubs about half the size of an icecream tub, but i have a larger one i can transfer the fry to if/when they hatch and i have a few small bits of wood i can add.

ill keep an eye out for any white looking eggs, and remove them from the rest

cheers

Scroggybank

May 2, 2009
Inverclyde, Scotland
5) When & how often should they be fed ................

I feed my baby corys on zm200 for the 1st week, zm300 for the 2nd
then grated frozen b/w for a couple of weeks. After that, they're big
enough for normal varied adult foods.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
feed when egg sack has just about gone, feed little and often if you can, 3 or 4 times a day is fine. i used micro worms and crushed flakes, and occasional liquifry.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
There is some great advice here:clap:
The only other things I can say is to keep the tubs clean as bacteria can build up, some people use a thin layer of sand but I prefer to keep them bare and use a small paint brush to clean the bottom and the sides daily.
I feed 2-3 times daily and do a waterchange with water from the parents tank before feeding. Liquifry is good as a first food and JBL Nobil fluid is also good then I feed zm100 and microworm,when they are big enough I give them frozen baby brine shrimp which they love.
The fry will be ok in the tubs for a good few weeks before they need moving into something bigger.
I'm had both sterbai and panda spawn and took 4 days to hatch.

Cheers
Gemma.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
thanks for the adive all, some great info and much apreciated.

ive collected another 50 or so eggs today, so must be around 150 i have now in 2 different tubs lol. i will keep up with the water changes daily and see what happens, would be great to actually raise some fry.

good tip on the bacteria build up gemma, i do a similar thing with my plecs

i shall keep you all updated

cheers
STRAP

hullfishman

Apr 26, 2009
hull
hi strap i keep my cory eggs in a small floating tub for a couple of weeks before moving them to a small tank,if you use a tiny drill bit to drill lots of small holes in the tub u will get the circulation you need . i use micro worms as a first food as these stay alive in water for a long time. i remove any fungussed eggs with a syringe with some airline attached. i have a high success rate using this method.
cheers
dave