HELP! rusty pleco being weird....

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
for f*uck sake.....

My rusty pleco is being really weird - he is sitting really still in a place that i can see him (he never lets me see him!)- i was worried he was dead so i touched him and he just wiggled a little but didnt shot out of the way....

I have had him for four years and was almost fully grown when i got him...

his belly is fine, he has no external sores, ick bumps lumps or anything i know to look for!

All the water parimators are normal for my tank - the tank has been running for four and a half years prox

Any one got any suggestions.... please :cry:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Which parameters have you checked? Is this same tank you been playing with the PH?

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
sh*t, bum....poooooooo

I have check ph which is 6.8 .....and unfotantly for me/him it was the tank i lowerd the ph:wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb::wb: it was orignally over 7.8 when i changed it but is normally about 7.4. I changed it because i was worried it was over the chart....

I dont a water change about a 5 days ago at 25% which is my normal rutene for past five years.....

the tank is understocked with 5 gouramis and 8 corys and my 135 and rusty

the amonia is 0....

My kit has run out to check the rest - should i go and get another one now? (when i say me i mean my ther half as i am house bound so would have to get her to leave work , which i would do for him)

the temperature has droped4 degree's because my heater broke last night and have seen it this morning (6hours after last checked) i have put a new heater in an am increasing temp by 1 degree every half hour)

Could this be the problem?
Should i do a water change to increase the ph natually to what it was before?

thanks ev31 :(:cry:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
no change in appearance - no colour change , no sunken eyes.... his just lost all vava vummmmm

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
craper.......what a twit i am. The l135 and all the other tank mates are totally normal. thanks for your help jack (again)

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
S'ok mate :) that's what were here for. Don't get cross with yourself, we all make mistakes. Just literally do I cup of water per 5 minutes. Declorinate the water in a full bucket or container, and take from there. Keep posted mate

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
thanks jack - just dont like hurting animals... im not a softy i sware! thanks again... ev3 5 mins....im on it,
cole

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Yeah yeah ;) it's never nice when a fish is sick. He should be fine mate just a bit of Ph shock. Just don't stress him out and be gentle. I've done it before, but they have pulled through. Keep me updated mate :thumbup:

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
It does sound like ph shock if all your other parameters are ok...Just raise it slowly as Jack has suggested and add a bit more O2 and some prime if you have it...If you find no response to this over the next few days, let us know.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
would some melafix make him feel a bit better? will be sure to let you know- thanks again
respect cole

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
OOOOOooooo what to do what to do..... does medication affect the water jack? wahts your thinking then>?cole

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
I try and keep as much chemicals out the water as possible while a fish is stressed, if he is ANy better by 6 o'clock dont add the med, but if not add the med but do not over does it at all, cheers, nd thanks for listening etc

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
lol @ etc....
agree with chemical, i dont normally add chemicals either but i panic'd with the ph and changed it probally for second time in my fish keeping life! i thought melafix was natural?respect cole

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Yeah dont add any chemicals, he hasnt got any sort of infection so melafix would be pointless, it is just a PH shock so just return it to normal slowly and that should do it. he might be a bit funny for a few days, but should return to normal soon enough