Help ick

I

intrepidmax

Hi I need some advice on UK meds.

I had a bought of Ick that wiped out my L136b tank while I was away and then went nuts at my LFS for giving it to me.....when I striped the L136b tank It was completely striped so that all traces of whitespot were wiped out.

but somehow it has transfered into a completley different tank....and the original tank is fine.

So Im running the tank at 84 degrees....and running lots of air into the tank....and then an eheim external with a 12watt uv attached.

but im starting to think about meds......but they need to be for sensitive fish......anyone have any ideas??

I do have a medicine cabinet full of fish meds...but it wont be good for these guys.

I

intrepidmax

Sorted. thank you mate.
will get some tomorrow afternoon.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Esha exit is good. You need to treat for 10-14 days to make sure its gone completely. Before first treatment do a water change and gravel clean---the gravel clean is the most important. Raising the temp is optionable but extra air is required.

What meds do you have?

Most meds that are used for sensitive fish are usually just normal meds but its recommended to half dose, but only do so if it says on the med.

I

intrepidmax

Just been down to the shed and pulled out a handful of treatments.. ( but left all the kent stuff cos i dont like it)

ok here is what i have.

Formalin & malachite premix

Acriflavine

Malachite Green

Methylene blue

Parazoryne ...<<<<think i might use this. (non chemical...natural plant extract and herbal treatment) what do you guys think??? (might wash my hair with this later lol)

sterazin.

and i have some melafix and pimafix kicking a bout somewhere.

any ideas???

I

intrepidmax

Right im all over it like a tramp on chips mate.
protozin it is.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Parazoryne ...<<<<think i might use this. (non chemical...natural plant extract and herbal treatment) what do you guys think??? (might wash my hair with this later lol)
I looked it up, its suitable for freshwater/marine/pond, treats whitespot and is herbal. Personally i would try it

I

intrepidmax

awesome

Right I will run it, just off to read the carton now and check dosage.

thanks doodles.

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
We went to buy some esha that was recommended just after we put the rescued fish in the tank,( as a precaution not to use unless needed) anyway, unfortunately they were out of stock but they recommeded Protozin as that is what they used for any Ich outbreak.

I

intrepidmax

well im running with this Parazoryne not alot seems to be happening...(two doses) but its a waiting game...and the fish seem to be getting worse...

I want to do a 75% water change.....but I will need to bring the water up to the same temp...as the tank. and im not entirely sure about doing it..as I dont want to stress the fish more than they already are.

I

intrepidmax

..well when i left for work this morning all plecs were up beside the filters and all looked on the last fins, totally covered in white spots.........but when i checked on them tonight they are not all hanging around the filters and now starting to get in the caves again.....so i think this could be a sign that they are on the mend? maybe.

so I just need to be as patient as I can be.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Be patient whitespot can take up to ten days to break the cycle and rid completely hang in there :thumbup:
:yes:
Should treat for 12-14 days or at least 3 or 4 days after last spot has gone otherwise if the ich returns it is much harder to eradicate.

For anyone thats interested the an article by Kordon about copper

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/articles/copper.html

And some info about malachite green and formalin

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
I've had Ich once in my tank when I started keeping tropicals and it took 4 weeks (I think) to get shot of it with Esha Exit. Although I didn't know at that time that 24 degrees wouldn't speed up the cycle. Hang in there and I'm sure all will be fine. :thumbup:

I

intrepidmax

Right the herbal remedy doesn't seem to be doing much and im getting a bit worried as it seems too be getting better and then worse.....so my meds and temp aint killing the free swimmers.....this white spot is like a super bug......so im going to do a 50% water change and smash some protazin in the tank.

hopefully the free swimmers will pop smoke and bug out.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You have only been treating for two days. Ich has a stage where even though on the fish you can't really see it and then shows which confuses many people as they think the med isn't working. Even with protozin you would of seen the same. Usually by day 3 or 4 you start seeing improvement.

:dk:Up to you though, its your tank, good luck