HELP AGAIN!

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i have done a water change yesterday, and now my fish are going upside down. why is this? i have carbon, i did water tests, everything fine, and still they are struggling. help please!!:cry:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
How much of a water change?
Did you match the temp?
When was the last waterchange?
You remembered the dechlor and right amount?

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
i did just under 1/3. the declorinator was enough, the last water change was a week and a half ago. everything was normal stuff.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
sorry please tell me more.
what type of fish, is it all the fish or just some?
where in england are you -ie do you have hard or soft water?
did you use tap water or add any rain water etc?
size of tank, what type of filtration and what furniture?
what temp is tank at?

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
sorry, the fish affected are one boesmani rainbow, panda corys, and some cherry barbs. the water was from the bath tap, i live in evesham, worcester area. the cardinals dont seem bothered. its a juwel rekord 96. 96litre. stock filter with the tank, has fairly fresh carbon (3 weeks). tthe tank is at 24 - 25 degrees c.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
did you add any plant fert? if so please do another water change 50% TO DILUTE IT!

IF not, then it could be a problem with your tap water. (sometimes water authorites add chemicals to clean the pipes -ok for humans but not for fish.)
do you have access to any rain water? eg you , or neighbours, have a water butt? if so use some of this in the water change (add warmed water from kettle into bucket and mix to tank temp before adding to tank).

do you have a deep substrate? sand or gravel? it could be your water changed disturbed some built up bacteria or something?

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
thanks irene, will do a water change. ive lost a boesmani rainbow and 3 baby panda corys. 2 cherry barbs are on their way out to :'(

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
is your bath water fed from the mains or from a tank in the loft?
if it comes from the loft, it could have traces of bird crap, dust, cement from roof tiles, almost anything in there, i would only ever use water that has come directly from the mains

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Ask your parents to phone the waterboard and see if any things been going on there

What was the KH and PH? have you checked that? and the tap water.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
ive lost 4 more cherry arbs, another boesmani, and 3 more baby panda corys :'(
will do that, ph is 7.3, same as ever. kH not sure, ran out of tests last week, willl get some today. the corydoras and bristlenoses have exibited a non breathing behaviour, where they get a gulp of atmospheric air, then hold their breath, till about 5 mins later when they gulp again. all deaths have been swimbladder related. thanks doodles

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
so sorry your fish are still distressed
please try and find some rain water.
also you did not answer my question about substrate - what is it and how deep?

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
thankyou, irene. the sand is about 5-6 cm deep. i plan to clean it and lower the level to around 3 cm. why rainwater? is it pure? also would bottled water from tesco be good, because its tested alot?