got some new cories today!

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
A friend tipped me off of an add on AC that was local for me.
So went to visit - there are not many serious fish people around here!
Met super bloke who is into cichlids and was selling his cories to reduce stock.
Anyway bought a bunch of mixed corys -not totally sure of id of some.
couple were melini, one pepper, and some julii -type, but the reason I went was cos he had 2x barbatus which I have been hunting for for a long time.

So I am chuffed with those! I will have to try and hunt down some more now to build a group.

not got any pics cos did not want to stress by photo of bags, and tank lights are off for a while to settle them. so will try and get pics tomorrow if they will show themselves.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thanks,
here is a poor pic - it has the two barbatus which I think are both female and two unkonwn plus the one on the left i got 2 weeks ago from you, Brian.

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i have 1 very similar to the 2 in the middle to the right, think thegeeman has some as well but cant for the life of me remember what they are called

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
Nice find, I love Barbatus, I've been told they like to spawn in the flow of a filter/power head, probably why mine haven't spawned yet, maybe one day, lol. I think you may have a pair, the one at the front looks like a possibe male.

Cheers
Gemma.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Thanks Stumac I think you could be right there.

Gemma, thanks, one is a little darker than the other but neither are as stunning as the male I used to have. The man I bought them from said he had bought them two years ago, so i was surprised they are not full size. I dont think he gave then ideal conditions or much food, so will see what they condition up like - they sure are very hungry!

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
I would agree the 2 corys in the middle look to be Corydoras kanei.

The Corydoras atropersonatus seem to lack the black in the leading hard ray of the dorsal fin and the majority of information i could find (although pattern is variable) suggest the spotted pattern sit on the dorsal side of the latteral line.

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I asked Ian Fuller if he would explain his ID of atropersonatus variant or if I could quote his relpy to the ID on corydoras world but so far he has ignored my request although Irene is aware of his full response. I suppose you will have to make your own mind up, lol.

Cheers
Gemma.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Thanks, lovely pics.
I guess the amount of black on top fin will fade with age (like my pandas do) so the amount of black there is not too indicative.
but tail spots are definite.

stumac

Jul 18, 2009
REDDINGMUIRHEAD
here's my 2 pics, not great photos but the lack of any barring or spots is clear enough in the 1st pic, they are faint in the 2nd but 1st is true atro and 2nd is kanei

Last edited: