Good quality shrimp food

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Im running out of the shrimp food that came with my dennerle tank, tbh I wasn't that impressed with it, it tends to float around the tank leaving a film on the top of the water rather than sink.

So need some recommendations for some good shrimp food for my cherry and Amano shrimp:yes:
Preferably one that is low in phosphates as we have more than enough in our tap water:(

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I only keep Cherry Shrimps, but I've had a bit of a population explosion since I started feeding them the Astax Red crumb (from TA aquaculture) and Sweet Potato as well as Cucumber & par boiled Carrot. They also seem to be more coloured up.

Before I used to feed them on "Tropical Spirulina Granulat" and cucumber.

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thank you, ill have a look. I didn't realise cherry's eat veg. I know my amano do, just never crossed my mind to add any veg in the nano fr the cherry shrimp lol.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
shirakiura
Mosura
Ebi-ten
Biomax
Ebitabreed

Probably a bit much for cherries, more geared for CRS but suitable for Cherries.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I use hikari either micro pellets, shrimp cuisine and recently crab cuisine. King british algae wafers, cucumber, tetra variety wafer.

Noticed best colouring from the cheapo bloodworm pellets from ebay. Also live or frozen bloodworm , they catch the live ones.

Always stay away from any fish flakes.

Even better just let algae grow in your tank. Best food going.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
These are my Red Cherry Shrimps (and Snails) enjoying a slice of Sweet Potato.

They are in this tank (which will have some L129 and Otocinclus in it, if I can ever catch them).

Sorry about the quality of the photos, but the tank is in the lab, and I didn't have time to clean the glass, and the camera batteries were just about to die, so it was a point and hope shot.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
These are mine over shrimp cuisine:

Never tried sweet potato, have used normal potato but it turns the water funny so won't use it any more. I try to keep away from veggies in my shrimp tank.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Never tried sweet potato, have used normal potato but it turns the water funny so won't use it any more. I try to keep away from veggies in my shrimp tank.
This is a valid point in a very small tank, both sweet potato and potato are relatively polluting for vegetables, as they contain a lot of starch. If you are worried about this you could try washing them first in cold water (and then leaving them in the water for 20 minutes or so) to remove some of the starch.

Any of bell pepper, boiled carrot, cucumber or courgette are much less likely to cause cloudy water.

Having said that fed in small amounts their contribution to the bio-load would be negligible, as they are low in protein and sugars. Weight for weight any vegetable will have much less pollution potential than the equivalent amount of fish/shrimp food.

A lot of shrimp web sites mention vegetables as a food for RCS:
<http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/cherry_shrimp_feeding.shtml>.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yeah I have had a look around at other sites but all the sites state are other shrimp keepers/breeders opinions and methods on how they keep their own shrimp.

I love the fact I can rely on algae as it is full of everything they need really. It is living so will never pollute and free. I suppose as well as the plants algae is a low plant form so will have some effect on nitrates etc.

I only use a very small amount of other foods, mainly to add protein to their diet as this seems to boost their colouring. I know too much can stop them from moulting properly so this is why I stay away from fish flakes. I did notice when I fed fish flakes to shrimp I had a lot more deaths, mainly moulting problems.

Shrimp are just scavengers at the end of the day. I doubt they really notice the difference between sweet potato or other veg. They do need the calcium but would the same stuff not be found in algae? All the nutrients are found in the skin of the veggies so no real point putting all of it in the tank. You could just stick the peelings in.

I did used to use spinach which I found messy but they enjoyed it more plus more benefits than any potato and as far as i know lots of calcium.

I don't know whatever I do works for me.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I don't know whatever I do works for me.
Certainly does work judging by your photo.

There are pretty much the same compounds in the green algae (Chlorophyta - so fuzz algae, thread algae etc.), as veg. as they share much of the same photosynthetic pathways as all the higher plants (from mosses through to flowering plants). This wouldn't be true of BBA, Stag horn, Diatoms or BGA, and that maybe why some of these are less palatable to RCS.
They do need the calcium
In the case of RCS and other shrimps from soft water, I would expect that they are pretty efficient at getting the small amounts of calcium they need from their environment. This almost certainly isn't true of shrimps from more mineral rich waters (like the Sulawesi shrimps or snails) which would definitely benefit from a cuttle bone or similar to pick at, as well as much harder water.
All the nutrients are found in the skin of the veggies so no real point putting all of it in the tank. You could just stick the peelings in.
I quite often do use Melon skin etc, but it isn't really true that all the goodness is in the skin, although a large amount of the vitamins may be. Sweet potato flesh would be rich in starch and anthocyanins, but relatively low in protein, I don't think it would make a very good staple diet, but mixed with some greens it would probably work fairly well. I would definitely encourage the growth of a biofilm to keep your shrimps happy. This may well be why tanks with dead leaves in work well with the more problematic shrimps. When the shrimps are eating "algae", they are actually getting a much wider range of food than might appear at first, as the algae will harbour protozoa, rotifers, diatoms etc. This is why the terms "aufwuchs" or periphyton are sometimes used, rather than algae.
I only use a very small amount of other foods, mainly to add protein to their diet as this seems to boost their colouring. I know too much can stop them from moulting properly so this is why I stay away from fish flakes. I did notice when I fed fish flakes to shrimp I had a lot more deaths, mainly moulting problems.
The moulting problem may well be a protein problem and I would only feed very small amounts of any high protein food to RCS, although I would expect that Ghost or Long-armed Shrimps would benefit from it.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Well all I know is that shrimp won't come across slices of sweet potato in the wild or shrimp cuisine. Closest I can give them is algae.

I know catappa leaves are a natural source of food because they contain micro organisms, which must be what you mean by protozoa, rotifers, diatoms? Not sure exactly.

Just notice the shrimp pick a lot at everything and dish out loads of babies.