female bn fanning herself with fins-possibly ich?

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
hi guys
for the past few days i have seen my female fanning her self with her fins.
i thought it was water quality so i decded to do a water change and i thought everything was fine but she keeps fanning her self.
the male does this fanning too in its cave but he has been doing this for the past 4-5 weeks so i guess he is showing off his parenting skills

and today i saw white spots on her but when i see her again the spots arent there. but there is some white little spots flying over the tank (cucmber is being fed)
i cant take a picture because i dont have the camera to do so
what should i do??
because females dont fan themselves, should i put it in my quarantine box? its a 4L seperate container with some meth blue? thats the only stuff i have
i added some aquarium slat but not to the exact amount because of cories

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
if its white spot the whole tank will need treating.
are there any other fish in the tank -eg tetras etc? they usually show the spots before the bns.
i would watch like a hawk for any spots and treat if you see any. meanwhile big waterchange wont hurt just in case its a water issue. could she be fanning for other reasons eg low oxygen, stress, etc?

also what temp is the tank?

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
hi thanks for the reply
no i dont have any other fish besides cories because other fish will eat the cory fry which i am selling when they get bigger
i have been a hawk for the past few hours and realised she stopped fanning herself. and i did do a large water change yesterday and the 2 females bn that i planned to buy came today and i put them in after another water change and another small application of salt with it too

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
good luck, beware the salt it might kill baby cories! They are very intolerant of salt.
better to raise temp a bit, but again some cories dont like that, but better than salt.
lets hope its not paracites anyway and was just a water issue.
what type of filtration do you have?

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
ok i always though i didnt have enough filteration but here is the filter list
rena 30
hailea hlbt 400 filter
and a spongefilter powered by a motor from aquasonic and i dont know the flow rate of that
all up it is about 700-900 litres P/hour

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
flashing, flicking, sudden movements where it looks like she's trying to scratch an itch by rubbing against the substrate or decor