Feeding raw prawns/fish?

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Hello

I have a 5" pardalis who I'm feeding cooked king prawn, cucumber, courgette, marrow, mango (his favourite) & sometimes a couple of tetra agae wafers.

He normally gets fresh food though.

I was wondering if it's good practice to feed him raw sea food, like prawns, white fish etc or whether it's better to only give him cooked?

Thanks

Also, can anyone recommend any other foods for him & a good brand of algae wafer?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
There is really no ill in feeding raw foods though it will spoil quicker. As with any food, raw is more nutritious. So long as all the raw food items are eaten or removed before it can spoil there is no problems.

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
There is really no ill in feeding raw foods though it will spoil quicker. As with any food, raw is more nutritious. So long as all the raw food items are eaten or removed before it can spoil there is no problems.
Thank you. Is it safe to leave in the tank for 12 hours (overnight)? I thread them through a thin tube & suspend into the tank for easy removal. Not that there's much left by the morning.

fishheadz

Apr 25, 2009
Yorkshire. UK
Thank you. Is it safe to leave in the tank for 12 hours (overnight)? I thread them through a thin tube & suspend into the tank for easy removal. Not that there's much left by the morning.
Overnight is ok, just make sure any uneaten food is removed next morning. I feed my peckoltia and hypans just after lights out and any left is removed the following morning.
As for algae wafers...mine get both King British & Hikari, but there are many out there to choose from, some contain fish derivitives but there's also some that are purely algae/veggie too(not sure of brand names).

Cheers
Steve

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Thanks for all your answers. He's currently in a 4ft 240L with 4 Angels & 9 Harlequin Rasbora. Tank is filtered with 2 Fluval 405s.

I'm going to have to find him a new home within the next 6 months as he's growing at about 1 inch per month. He was very ill & emaciated when I took him off someone who was going to put him to sleep. He's a very happy fish & not shy at all. I believe that they recover well from situations like this & are real survivors.

Many thanks again. I got some nice big fat fresh King Prawns today & I'm going to give him one tonight.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Well done you for bringing him back and keeping him happy.

It must cost you a fortune to keep feeding him fresh foods. Dried foods can be used more often and fresh foods can be given once a week, would be easier on your pocket!

Roo

Jul 12, 2010
UK
Well, a 200g packet of King Prawns only costs about £2 & you get 20 or so in packet. I alternate between meat & veg :D I maybe give him wafers once a week.