Ehime classic flow problem

no_carbz

Jul 21, 2013
nsw
Heyy my 3 ehime 440 lt our filters have really low flow rate the media is clean the filter pad is fresh and still low iv cleaned the magnet of the impela and the hoses look clean any ideas ppl need ya help ASAP cheers

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
do you also get a rattling noise, maybe the shaft is broken ? Sounds like poss too much filter media as well. cheers jk :thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Amazing how just a little bit of gunk on the inside of pipes can really slow the flow.
Certainly is.
the filter pad is fresh
Have you overfilled the media baskets? Sounds silly but it is a common occurrence
I wouldn't have a filter pad in the filter, I'd only have a filter medium that didn't clog in the filter, like Eheim "Coco-pops", ceramic/glass rings, alfagrog or floating cell media etc and I'd also only fill the filter body 2/3 full.

I have a sponge filter on the intake, either the one that Eheim make <https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/accessories/installation_prefilter>, a drilled sponge block ("Pre-Filter Foam Block 4" x 4" x 12") or a DIY one made from a foam sheet sewed into a cylinder.

If you keep the pre-filter and hoses fairly clean, the internal filter media should only need a very occasional rinse.

cheers Darrel