eheim?

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
Looking into finally getting a canister filter, anyone have experience with this brand: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp17898/si1319894/cl0/eheimfilter2213pluskit

It says it comes with kit, I presume thats a good thing?

I am very inexperienced when it comes to canisters. I've had HOB's since the beginning. Currently I have two power filters on my 56gal and a home made sponge filter. I'm thinking maybe its a good idea to go to a canister, perhaps water quality would be improved and I could do less water changes. Currently I am doing 10% daily, or 20% every second day, but its getting to be costly on water esp. since its summer time.

Any advice or comments appreciated.;)

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
they are not called the Classic for nothing:yes:
I have the same filter 2213 its been in use for 13 years non stop with only 1 replacement impeller.think its due a second infact.
Great little work horse! no frills or gadgets that can and do go bang/get bust.

i also have a eheime ecco and personaly regret not getting another classic:wb:

I wouldnt put 2213 on anything biger than a 100 litre tank.
the kit usualy means media ceramic tubes/volcanic rubble/filter foam

what size tank is it for as you may want the bigger babys 2215/2217

have a look here for info on the others avalable

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filters_pumps/eheim_filters?gclid=CMjJs87erZsCFYYU4wodP0sWNg&gclid=CMjJs87erZsCFYYU4wodP0sWNg

hugo

Jun 21, 2009
West OZ
I have been using 2 of them. One an older 2235 Ecco which puts out 600l/h but had a small design fault with plastic clips on inside of handles tending to break if one did not lube the "O" ring before replacing.
Other than that brilliant to use and combined with an undergravel filter means it goes for months without attention.
The second is a Classic 2215 running at 620 l/h and has worked like a dream from day one. ( agree with rpp1973 that they are a better model ).
Just remember that they will only pump to a certain head so if you have a high mounted aquarium this may be an issue.
Also ONLY ever use tank water to clean them otherwise you will kill off good bacteria causing an ammomia/ nitrite spike.
Worth every cent !!!!!

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
oh great feedback so far! Thank you. Usually I am wearing of ordering online due to living in Canada and the postage being so expensive to ship from the usa. I found some cheap ones on ebay as well, but when you include postage its over then just buying from here in my city.

I am thinking of using this particular canister on my 56gal. I will continue using one of the HOB filters though.

Thanks for replying!:hi:

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i only use eheim filters.

i have 2 classic 2213's and 4 2224's. they are great filters, easy to use, clean & maintain etc. The flow from them is brilliant and the power consumption on them is next to nothing, i think the 2224 is 8watt if i remember correctly and flows around 600lph and the 2213 is around 6watt i think

never had one pack up or had to replace any parts. highly recomended even if they are a tad more money than other externals

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Eheim:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Scatz will be on in a moment to tell you about cheap chinese version that he uses.
Just hit the ignore button:D:D

thegeenius
Tell me more lol.I have a cheap chinese thing that came with my tank and tbh i dont think its up to much,and i am considering replacing it with a decent make.Plus i cant read the instructions and the website isnt much help lol.

rpp1973

Apr 26, 2009
Stroud (Gloucestershire)
be warned when i got my 2213 new it leaked from the bottom 90 degree elbow fitting. turn it 45 degrees tightening the thing and it sealed. never had a problem with it leaking to date.I think it was just shipped loose:)

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
Tell me more lol.I have a cheap chinese thing that came with my tank and tbh i dont think its up to much,and i am considering replacing it with a decent make.Plus i cant read the instructions and the website isnt much help lol.
does it say the power consumption on it, youd be suprised how much power a lot of other filters use compared to eheims

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
1200lh,20w,max jet 1.5m,for aquarium 100l-285l.Its running on my vision 260.Dont know what half of that means lol

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Well today i just bought and set up a classic 2115,its currently running alongside the cheap chinese thing in my vision 260.Now thats what a spray bars meant to do(spray not trickle lol)One question i have is how long before the new 1 is seeded
,so i can remove the other piece of junk?lol

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
Cheers gee,tbh it will probably be in there longer than that.Then it will get moved to the 60l that i plan on setting up,once i get a lid and light unit for it.