Driftwood treatment

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
We are having some trouble setting up a couple of pieces of driftwood for our tank.
We found some pieces on the beach we thought would be right for our tank and plecos, so we brought them home, cleaned them and have had them soaking for a few weeks. They sunk to the bottoms a few days ago and since them we have had them boiling several times to try help draw the colour out a bit.
They seemed OK as after an hour of boiling the latest time as no colour had come out so we dried them out and popped them in the tank. Now after a day the tank has the colour in it from them so have taken them back out.
Should we keep boiling and soaking them or is there something else we can do?

Thanks

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I found that happened with driftwood from the beach & it became really crumbly maybe due to the salt corrosion. It's very hard to get all of the salt out too which can be a problem.
I would throw it out & keep trying to source river driftwood or already established driftwood

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
surely in NZ you havesome nice fresh water creeksor farmers with water access to ask for permission to take some off the river etc ? I would not use the beach ones, as they might be polluted oils/petrol etc. Even with every new piece of wood, I cover in rain water to the top, add seachem conditioner to remove the chorine etc and leave for 2 weeks in the bucket. cheers jk

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
another way to rid the wood of tannins is to boil it ...if it isn't too large and you have a pot large enough. It's a quick way and you have to change the water a few times, then last time add a bit of Prime so any fish that rasp on it won't be sucking on wood with chlorine in it. I did a good size piece in a big old lobster pot ,had to turn the wood a few times because it was large and stuck out of the top of the pot but now only use that pot for wood or stones for my tank. It's the same as what others have suggeted, just faster . Boil till you get clear water , plop some Prime in and after it cools off , it goes in the tank - no tea color. Good luck whatever you choose. HTH

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Hey, thanks for the help.
Yea we only grabbed it as we were out for a nice walk on the beach and saw a few pieces that were what we were after. But we will will go to the river tomorrow and look for some there.
We soak it in water from an aquifier so that should be alright for it.
Will soak the new stuff and boil it again when we find some.
Thanks for the info on prime and purigen. Will find some of that stuff.

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Hey, just thought I would give an update, have some new wood soaking away and added some stuff to get rid of the chlorine, some of the pieces have already started sinking. some colour has come out but not much. Been in there about a week now so another week to go then will start boiling it. Than off to the tank it goes.
And on a random note I found my dream pleco at a fish store near by, so saving the money to get one and add it once the tanks all good.

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Haha I will soon, they had run out but can order in so slowly convincing partner I can have it. $190 for it but so gorgeous.
Gave the wood a bit of a boil today and it turned the water red, did it 3 times. Soaking it again in warm water with Prime.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
boiling the wood , changing the water when it gets dark, and continue to do this until the water is clear. It will be faster. I have always done it this way . Last time boiling, then good to add some Prime or other dechlorine remover. Soaking works too, just takes longer . Electricty using the stove may be a factor , it took me 6 hrs to boil a pretty large piece of wood to get the tannins out. But I didn't want to wait , too anxious to get it in the tank !

good luck whatever you choose and hope you get your fav plec soon :)

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Changing the water daily, keep adding warm water to it so it stays warm. Not many tannins coming out in the soaking but when I boil it after half hour the water goes red, keep changing it. So have it soaking again. Thankfully we are on gas. 6 hours is a long time.
Adding prime to the water to be sure.
I don't want to wait either haha.