Drastic setup change... will it work?

Mattzilla

Oct 12, 2009
Caringbah, Sydney, NSW
OK so i'm tossing up an idea of drastically changing my current 6x2x2 display tank. It's currently a south american setup up with planted driftwood, sand etc etc

I'm getting the flowerhorn itch bad and am thinking about emptying the whole tank going bare bottom with one or two fresh water rays, 1-3 flowerhorn and 1 arowana.

My concerns with the flowerhorn is that i might be better with just one so that none get harrassed. also will the fh pick on the fresh water rays? if i went say 3 fh would that be enough to share the agro if i get them all young? i would get males only as well

I guess i would get everything juvenile so that they all grow up together and hopefully get along.

it's just a thought at the moment but i'm very seriously considering it

your thoughts? ideas? Suggestions

thanks
matt

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Gday Mat, my open honest opinion.
The FH are agro and I think with give the arowana some trouble, especially when he gets older. The rays might need more bottom area as they get large, but it depends which ones you get. May I ask why you only want 3males for the rays and not a pair. Rays in my view also need sand to dig in. With FH you need to get one only unless you get a proven couple, but they are agro fish by nature so to speak. I see in a lot of tanks the egg crate separating male and female, as the male will just constantly chase the female. I would go for rays and FH and not the arowana. Set up would then be less restrictive. Add or make some caves for the fh, add a large piece of drift wood and sandy bottom. That would look nice. Just my thoughts and ideas mate. cheers jk :thumbup: