Canister filter set up

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi all,

We are looking at changing to a bigger tank as the fish are growing a bit. Have a 140L there we were going to use until builder cracked it, so once repaired it will be getting set up and put into use. Currently running a sun sun HW602B canister in a 70L. Want to get a new canister when set up new tank but trying to decide what to have in it.
Is UV a good decision or not worth it in you opinions?
We were thinking of using poret foam, 10ppi and 20ppi and some bio balls. Is this a good set up?

Thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Maybe I misunderstand, but how many liters is your new tank ? I think the cannister filter should turn around the water 2-3 times water volume per hour. IE If you have a 100liter tank, you should use a filter that pumps out 300liters per hour. Also add some airhose/airstone for water movement, but use your own as you then know your electric meter costs as well. I think the cannister set up of 10 to 20 and bio balls is a grand system for the tank. cheers jk :thumbup:

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Sorry, half asleep lately.
Our new tank is 140L, when we have it repaired we will be getting it up and running.
Our current set up is a 70L with a small canister filter which is really only good for 80L tanks tops.
Have an air pump ready to go when get in new set up too.

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Has anyone got any thoughts on UV sterilizers? Also whether to get a canister with a built in or an in line UV?
We have just seen the SUNSUN cuv-505 and cuv-510. They are in lines and look like they can handle a bit of water. Can't find any reviews but they seem to be the new version of the cuv-107 and higher.