Caecillians

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
today i decided to change my 180lt tank, i wanted to add some gravel (as its been bare bottom for a while) and remove some fish, so started by removing half the water and all the wood, slate etc. the tank remained like this for a couple of hours while i ran a couple of errands and went to the lfs. mean while my 3 caecillians
were left to themselves in the tank.
once i had returned and washed the gravel i started to put the tank back together. no sooner then i had finished topping the water back up i noticed something i hadn't seen before. my female and the smaller male were coupled together and the famale was slowly dragging the subdued male around the tank, i now realise that in dropping the water level and leaving it it simulated their dry season and spurred the mating.

they seemed pretty well attached, both were pulsing and continued this for another hour and a half. this process can continue for another week or so, and will take months to find out if she is pregnant. if all is well then in 11 months she will give birth to babys approx 10-15am long.

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
yes i've been waiting for this for years, i've had the female for 6-7 yrs now and only managed to get a second one 1-2 yrs ago, and the male thats done the business i only had for about 6 months, i was quite surprised as he is the smallest by far. cant believe i have to wait so long for the results

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Fascinating indeed and great shots. Would be very keen to see in 11months what happens. well done. cheers jk :yes:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
have you not cut one in half yet to see if it grows a new head/tail?
j/k

congrats matey, its cool to see the oddballs being bred, well done

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
update

i have notice my smaller female has been looking quite fat recently so was quite hopeful, yesterday i decided to do another 50% water change and left the water level low for an hour, topped it back up and everything was normal, today i saw a small head appearing from under a piece of wood, i jumped up and this is what i saw.....

:fr::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

this is only 5months after seeing the mating, much sooner than i had expected, i can only presume they did the deed way before i had witnessed

i think i have 5 in there but difficult to tell, either way i'm a very happy chappy

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
thanks everyone, unfortunately its not a uk first, but certainly quite rare from what i have found, the baby's were feeding within the first 24hrs, and the parents are staying with them most of the time, I'll be keeping a eye on them to observe their behaviour as its now unknown territory

smart

Nov 8, 2009
hertfordshire
my second female spawned!! this time i managed to catch them all so managed to get a head count. I now have 9 babys :woohoo::woohoo:

heres a pic of all the babys