buying used tanks?

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
Has anyone done this, have any advice?

My hubby wants to go brand new due to worry about fish deseases left in tank, leakage, and NO warrenty. BUT to get a new tank would cost us about $700 total including a basic HOB filter. There are many people locally who are selling tanks the size we want and bigger for cheaper, in some cases they come with nice canister filters, decor, some even come with fish for goodness sakes.... ($300 to $500) I think we should go used and clean the tank, filter, rocks, etc. ... very long process of course... but I'm willing to do that while hubby thinks its a pain in the **** and would rather just buy new and not have to worry about cleaning or having 3 tanks on the go. I just want to be sure buying used isn't really THAT bad, I think its better to save cash where you can but I'm worried...

Opinions? Experiences? Please?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I've bought many used tanks & never had any problems. I've gone the route of resealing some of the tanks which were in bad shape & simply filling other that looked okay. I think its important to test it if you've got any questions before setting up, maybe fill it & let it sit outside a few days to check for leaks. Tanks that are dried out won't have problems with diseases but the longer its been dried the more difficult it can be to clean & the bigger the chance of the seals going bad.

I usually like to take just the tank if possibly unless included is something I really want, else getting stuck getting rid of stuff I don't want. This especially goes for fish as you can't simply dump them. Also, as you can't always judge how good a keeper the previous owner was you could be opening up yourself & your collection to serious problems by using equipment/substrate/etc without proper precautions.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have had several second hand tanks and have been pleased with all of them - have saved lots of money. really worth shopping around. I bought 2 tanks off ebay and one from some people down the road.
Where I the tank was dry and I did not know if previous fish had been ill - I filled the tank with strong salt water for a few days -in the garden -also allowed to check for leaks. I then rinsed several times, then filled with tap water and added strong dose of fish medicine for good measure and left for a few more days. then rinsed well and filled with mature tank water ready for set up. no problems.
another tank was up and running, with fish in it (so could look for any illness), so i bagged some of the water, bagged the fish etc, transported and set up in a few hours with same water, plus some fresh, and same fish -no casualties -brilliant.
just take care where you buy it and reseach a bit, maybe buy new filter and heater as if they are old they could be likely to fail.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
just take care where you buy it and research a bit, maybe buy new filter and heater as if they are old they could be likely to fail.
:hi:
All sound advice given before me, all my tanks are secondhand and all came with fish and i've had no worries, i always bought new heaters to be sure.
$700 for a tank with a basic HOB is a lot and your more than likely to want to upgrade to a canister so finding a good bargain with decor and possibly fish is always a good idea, the money you save will be more than enough to buy a good external filter and if your more than happy to put in the work cleaning the tank then hubby has no argument. you may get lucky and find someone selling a set-up as they upgrade so they will keep their fish and you just have to clean up, set-up and cycle with new filters ready for your fish.

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
Out of the 5 tanks I'm using at the moment - 4 of them are 2nd hand.
I've only ever bought 3 tanks new - not bad out of 26 tanks at one point.

I've not had any problems - Like you say 2nd hand is always a LOT better value.

Katey

May 4, 2009
I bought both my 75 gallons used, really cheap ($100) with stands, tops, lights, etc. I believe they are both pretty old, but the important thing is the sellers took good care of their set ups. :)

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
wow, thank you for all the replies everyone! :clap:

Good to hear you've had positive experiences with used. I figure if the sealing is good, no cracks, its all good. I hear what some of you are saying about filters and heaters, I share those same worries and would buy a new heater for sure, I don't want to fry my fish by accident.

you may get lucky and find someone selling a set-up as they upgrade so they will keep their fish and you just have to clean up, set-up and cycle with new filters ready for your fish.
this is exactly what I'm looking at... a set up that comes with everything needed (and things I don't need atm) only $400... to me, we'd be fools to not at least take a look. I would prefer to save the cash on the tank and accessories and spend that extra on a nice filter system.

ani-mal-lvr

May 20, 2009
Wisconsin U.S.A.
I've bought many used tanks & never had any problems. I've gone the route of resealing some of the tanks which were in bad shape & simply filling other that looked okay. I think its important to test it if you've got any questions before setting up, maybe fill it & let it sit outside a few days to check for leaks. Tanks that are dried out won't have problems with diseases but the longer its been dried the more difficult it can be to clean & the bigger the chance of the seals going bad.

I usually like to take just the tank if possibly unless included is something I really want, else getting stuck getting rid of stuff I don't want. This especially goes for fish as you can't simply dump them. Also, as you can't always judge how good a keeper the previous owner was you could be opening up yourself & your collection to serious problems by using equipment/substrate/etc without proper precautions.
Great points Lorne!! The longer a tank has sat dry, the greater the odds of bad seals.
I have had several second hand tanks and have been pleased with all of them - have saved lots of money. really worth shopping around. I bought 2 tanks off ebay and one from some people down the road.
Where I the tank was dry and I did not know if previous fish had been ill - I filled the tank with strong salt water for a few days -in the garden -also allowed to check for leaks. I then rinsed several times, then filled with tap water and added strong dose of fish medicine for good measure and left for a few more days. then rinsed well and filled with mature tank water ready for set up. no problems.
another tank was up and running, with fish in it (so could look for any illness), so i bagged some of the water, bagged the fish etc, transported and set up in a few hours with same water, plus some fresh, and same fish -no casualties -brilliant.
just take care where you buy it and reseach a bit, maybe buy new filter and heater as if they are old they could be likely to fail.
I alwayz keep spare heaterz on hand. I have had several just up and quit.
Out of the 5 tanks I'm using at the moment - 4 of them are 2nd hand.
I've only ever bought 3 tanks new - not bad out of 26 tanks at one point.

I've not had any problems - Like you say 2nd hand is always a LOT better value.
I'm with you bud!! Used is the way to go.
I bought both my 75 gallons used, really cheap ($100) with stands, tops, lights, etc. I believe they are both pretty old, but the important thing is the sellers took good care of their set ups. :)
Good deals you got there Katey!

Used is the way I go!!! Of the 30 plus tanks I own (not all running atm but soon) only 2 were bought new.