brown jelly in filters

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
yup also glad this is sorted out. I always only leave in the vegies for 10hours etc and always overnight and remove first this in the morning. So the good old zuchinni was the culprit......lol cheers jk :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
right, thanks guys . I only leave any veggie in for 10hrs as jk said. I remove any uneaten in the am, but as i mentioned, there is not much left on the food clips since i cut down on how much to give them. But it IS the zucchini :yes: good to get to the bottom of this finally ,thanks everyone.

So high powerd hot water does the trick eh ? I can believe that since all the brush scrubbing i have tried has barely removed any ! thanks :)

chaase

Jun 18, 2013
Wagga Wagga
I get this too in my BN tank, I feed them at least 1 cucumber/zuchinni every 2 days :/ Pigs of the fish world LOL

now i know how to get rid of it, I am off to scrub tanks :)

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I get this too in my BN tank, I feed them at least 1 cucumber/zuchinni every 2 days :/ Pigs of the fish world LOL

now i know how to get rid of it, I am off to scrub tanks :)
glad to hear I was not the only one with this....I thought it was something strange as I had never seen mention of it.. yep scrub ,scrub ,scrub !

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
I didnt realise & i have been trying to work it out for ages!!!!

So glad i read this thread :clap::clap::clap:
hey chaase, glad we discoverd the cause too ,and glad you read the thread. Never feel you can't ask a question here... the members are great with advice and solving probs !:thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hey chaase, I have been feeding less zucchini ,smaller pieces, and not as often, and there is less of the jelly appearing since . I still have not been able to completely clean it off the biomatrix mesh bags and sponges , but each time I clean the filters I try to get more off. The intakes have much less so I know that cutting down on the amount has helped quite a bit. Good luck with yours.

chaase

Jun 18, 2013
Wagga Wagga
unfortunately i have over 300 fry do i cant really feed less... between the 2ft & 4ft tanks i am using 1/2 a zuchinni/cucumber etc a day....

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
hi chaase, are you using both zucchini and cucumber , or just one kind ? The cucumber will break down much faster in the tank.