Breeding # groups/badges

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
a little bit of brainstorming / ideas here

So I was thinking it would be cool if we could maybe have some groups with badges that have ranges on the number of l#s members have bred.

Then maybe sometime we could give each l# a point value based on a few factors such difficulty.

This wouldn't be too hard for the admin to setup in making badges/groups but we would have to set of a rating system and format.

Let's do something unique here other forums haven't done

So for example if a member has bred l046 and raised fry to 3/4 " they would get the max of 5 pts. But to qualify for points you need to have photo proof documentation.

Maybe the lfab ancistrus could be 1 point

kind of a messy post I'm using my cell phone

but what does everyone think of this, any ideas to add?

5 points would be the highest value

but if you are the very first person to breed a specie that we know of then you can get more than 5 points. An example would be that someone bred l200 for the first time recently.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I think you could have a basis of an idea there, maybe we can look into it and see what or how it could be worked.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
Sorry,don't like the idea.

Edit:It's the points or rating system that turns me off,we're fish keepers,not game players.I've seen in another forum how this points stuff can be a joke.

Edit:I like the voting for a thread helpful system better.

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thats a good point, and we do have in the user profiles extra fields for breeding experience and somewhere to list what you have bred.

Also with photographic proof, members can have their names added to the 'bred by' list on each pleco profile in the L-number/Profiles forum which will become a valuable resource forum as it grows.

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
I just think it would be a good way to encourage members to share there stories/breeding experience. also a way to show kind of a "respect" level for each user. it shows what such a user has accomplished.

I would take the advice of a person who has a badge showing there work rather than that "mr know it all"

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I just think it would be a good way to encourage members to share there stories/breeding experience. also a way to show kind of a "respect" level for each user. it shows what such a user has accomplished.

I would take the advice of a person who has a badge showing there work rather than that "mr know it all"
Sorry I don't like the point idea either, not solely for breeding.
I've been keeping plecs for a long time & gained experience with many when I lived in the mainland US, prior to the internet days so knowledge was gained by figuring things out, not reading about it. However, Hawaii has import restrictions which severly limits the types of plecs that may be imported & the vast majority allowed are not necessarily easily bred plecs. Does this mean in your opinion that I never will be an accomplished plec keeper? Furthermore, even if I were able to obtain certain plecs (at a substantially greater economical investment than would be required by others) which may not be legal to import, I wouldn't go about publisizing my accomplishement on a public forum.

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
The intentions behind this idea were to have something fun. its kind of like being a member of a club or sports team in school. People would have a school jacket with there letters on it and there clubs/teams.

It wasn't to be a big competition singling people out, or saying they aren't a good pleco keeper. Didn't think people would get offended by it of have there pride hurt, but if it does maybe its too much

Times are changing these days the internet is a powerful source of information where we can share our experiences with plecos.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
The intentions behind this idea were to have something fun. its kind of like being a member of a club or sports team in school. People would have a school jacket with there letters on it and there clubs/teams.

It wasn't to be a big competition singling people out, or saying they aren't a good pleco keeper. Didn't think people would get offended by it of have there pride hurt, but if it does maybe its too much

Times are changing these days the internet is a powerful source of information where we can share our experiences with plecos.
Hurt? Offended? Nah, I could care less about points. There will be those that are however. I was just using it as an example of why focusing on a single aspect of fish keeping to gain "respect level" is open to faults. when I was in school, letters or team jackets were earned simply by participating. I'd be more open to giving out points (tho i am still against it simply because they don't stand for anything or earn you anything) for members writing articles, submitting profiles or photographs.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
its nice to see some fresh ideas coming in, so please keep on thinking, but this sort of points system imo wouldn't offer a fair way to show a members experience, which is after all more important than how many types of pleco they have bred, i know a lot of members that are hugely experienced at keeping fish of all sorts, have great knowledge about water, plants, set ups etc but may not have bred any plecs, so on a points scheme would look like one of the "mr know it alls", but in fact would be one of the most experienced hands.

but keep the ideas coming

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
member submitted articles, and photos of there fish are nice. But every other site has that. Would points mean all that much as a respect level to someone who takes pictures of fish. The pics have to some meaning and information to them.

More on some ideas below

Last edited:

young1nj

May 28, 2009
Michigan
its nice to see some fresh ideas coming in, so please keep on thinking, but this sort of points system imo wouldn't offer a fair way to show a members experience, which is after all more important than how many types of pleco they have bred, i know a lot of members that are hugely experienced at keeping fish of all sorts, have great knowledge about water, plants, set ups etc but may not have bred any plecs, so on a points scheme would look like one of the "mr know it alls", but in fact would be one of the most experienced hands.

but keep the ideas coming

This is a site about pleco's so a person wouldn't get points for having a planted tank with breeding cichlids. If one wants infomration on that they will go to that site

Stuff like photo's of there adult fish next to a ruler, a picture of that fishes fry at 10 days 3 months, 1 year etc.

People would get points for having useful and helpful information that helps educate people, aand in turn have this place be a place for very good specifis and knowledge on specific species that you don't see anywhere else.

Who better to give out this knowledge than a person who is directly doing the breeding.

The point scale would have to be set up very systematic, and have a good description of what is required to get x amount of points. This would be something that would have to me tryed out and worked with.

here is a brief brainstorm
260's - must be one group of fish where each fish can be distinguisable

- clear pictures of an adult mature male (pics of adontdodes, hariy tale etc.) have some clear requirements = 3 points

- clear picture showing adult female 9 3 requirements ( wider midsection, no adontedotes, etc)

- feeding contents and schedule

- pic showing size of fish at purchase by measuring tape

- pic of same fish by measuring tape at 3 month incriments

- water parameters

- tankmates

- breeding situations

- breeding trigger

- # of fry, breeding schedule

fry growth, feeding schedule, wc schedule, growth rate, etc.

A person wouldn't have to have all of these requirements but this gives people what we are looking for and what it takes to get a badge and points. a member would essentially have a "points bank showing" where they got there points. xx point for breeding 260, xx points for 144, etc

A member may have 10 points out of 50 for 3 species of fish(30 points) while another member may have 20 points out of 30 for breeding 1 fish.

key and important part would be setting up a very good working system that works with all species of plecos.

Have a checklist made up that has requirements and points. Then have a way to have the member submit this. Then make it into a PD and have it posted in the article sections. " geemans breeding tale - xx points/ out of xx

its not as much a competition as a way for members to be more apart of a pleco community.

maybe some people don't want to share there breeding stories and such.

maybe this is too much information to ask, but it would be cool to have available all this data. If you want to be the best pleco site it takes good staff and members to make it great. it seems like there are some passionate people here who want this to be great

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
My biggest issue with all this, as stated previously, is what do the points mean? As currently described its simply a status thing, a "look how great a plec keeper I am because I got so much points" type of thing. That's exactly the type of thing that I'd like to avoid. As soon as we start assigning points for things it automatically becomes a competition. And unfortunately with competition comes all sorts of ills, its simply human nature. There develops an "I got more points then you so my word is god" type of attitude with some individuals which makes the forum an unfriendly place at times. I would rather be a part of a community that shares knowledge and information simply for the benefit of the hobby, not to earn arbitrary points, even if this means it takes longer for things to happen. The admins/team members/mods as well as countless members here all volunteer thier time to help others and to build a site because they love plecs and want to share with other keepers and don't expect or ask for any type of compensation. It goes back to why I prefer college sports over professional sports, in college they do it because they are passionate about the sport not because they are being paid for it.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
but it is nice to see people keep coming up with ideas, please dont be offended if not all the ideas are taken on

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
If you want to be the best pleco site it takes good staff and members to make it great. it seems like there are some passionate people here who want this to be great
I agree with you there.

Look,a points system can bring trouble,boosting of points and deduction of points can lead to fighting.