BN swollen belly - HELP QUICK

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
He should be fine to fast for at least another couple of days. You didnt mention whether he is pooping or not and what was the colour of the poop last time you saw any?

roydon

May 28, 2010
ST CLAIR
Hey buddy its Roy treated albino's in a salt bath for 24 hrs feed peas only post bath two days later there stomach's have subsided 3/4 they are crunching through peas as we speak YAHOOOO
Tx Dose was 1 teaspoon of epsom salts to 10 Ltr's of water
No food for that period then feed peeled blanced pea's

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
Hi hope he is doing better now having fasted for a couple of days.

The peas work well like mentioned as a laxative. Garlic also aids in regular GIT motility. You do have to be careful not to assume that the bloat has been caused by over eating of a certain food and not a bacterial infection. Certainly peas and garlic are a good place to start but if no improvement you may have to consider meds.

With regards to meds, esha2000 wont work as its for 'external' bacterial infection. In fact you will find it hard to find a anti-bacterial that will work as the meds from your lfs are just not 'strong' enough. If you can get Vibramycin which is a doxycycline that will work well, but you will have to get it from your vet.

Keep us posted!
cheers

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Hi guys, thank you all for your posts. He is still going and he se ems to have shrunk a little. I am still fasting him and am going to add a couple of skined peas that I have soaked in garlic.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
O and roydon, yay for your little ones. I am very happy for them. I have taken your suggestion and added extra air but I am a little scared of salt baths. Are they totally better yet? Cheers cole

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
R.I.P man face. My bn died today before I had time to give.him the.antibiotics I got from the vets. Thanks to everyone for all their help, I hope some people learn something from this thread though.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
so sorry to hear that, i would think perhaps it was not bloat but maybe an intestinal tumour or something. sometimes there is nothing you can do, its his fate.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Cheers guys

Thanks for all your sympathys. I was thinking the same about the tumour. I am goin g to post a photo I wanted you all to look at. He grew these these lumps of bubbles from his sides but his scales did not poke out. Poor guy.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Tell me more

Sorry to hear of your loss.
What you describe sounds like gas bubble disease.
I can't find anything on this, could you tel l me more about it?

not this best picture but you can see the bubbles on the right side. By the time he died these pockets of air were very large. :( :rip:

Last edited:

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
I can't find anything on this, could you tel l me more about it?

not this best picture but you can see the bubbles on the right side. By the time he died these pockets of air were very large. :( :rip:
Its caused by to much dissolved nitrogen gas in the water. If you type "gas bubble disease" into Google, there is loads of info and pics.
BTW I cant see the pic.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Cheers d-mac, I looked it up but for the life of my over worked brain I couldn't see a solution? Is their one? Sorry if I'm just being thick. :(

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Allow water to sit awhile when doing water changes.
Don't fill tank straight from tap.
Warm water to tank temp before adding to tank.