Bleeding anus on Lda31

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
Hi everyone

Just trying to find out a little on the Lda31 i have just sadly lost. I woke up and did my routine check on all my tanks and my female Lda31 has died, i pulled her out and this is what i seen.

I still have a pair of them in the same tank so i don't want anything to happen. These are very expensive fish for me, in Oz anyway.

tank size: 145cm x 50cm x 45cm about 9 months old
Fish: Lda31, was 1m 2f now 1m 1f
water: pH 7, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and nitrate 10ppm
No changes in the tank.

Thanks evryone
Aiden

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Sorry hear about your loss Aiden. It's never nice to lose a fish (especially an expensive one) and to not have a cause is worse.

I'm not 100% on the cause here, so keep in mind I am just throwing around thoughts.

It looks to me as though you plec has had a prolapsed anus and it's became severely infected resulting in death. I could be wrong and it is hard to tell from those pics, but that is my thoughts on it.
If it is the result of prolapsed anus you would be able to see (i don't know how to put it) a sack....um...excess skin...you know...the intestinal walls would have passed out of the anus. There would be something that doesn't look quite right apart from the bleeding.

Can you get a closer photo? or one from a different angle showing if it's swollen/raised or something extruding?

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
When was the last time you Syphoned your gravel???

And did you see anything strange in waste color????

Sorry 4 your loss Aiden

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Im thinking the same as Bre, or possibly a bad bacterial infection.

what was the behaviour like prior?

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
what a pity, I agree a good tank clean out followed by some general med like pima fix just to keep safe might be a good action.
I have no idea, could be cancer?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Upon everyone else's advice i would try to flush the stomach with some pea's.
It looks from the photos there is a crater like infection around the genitals is that the photo or the fish?

canberra_plec

Sep 22, 2009
Canberra
it could be camelanus worms?? its hard to tell in plecs if they have it but they basically rip the insides of your fish up and they either bleed to death or die of a secondary infection. especially if your in aus the authorities stir up the water supply's ready for summer and this stirs up cysts.

i just had a battle with the buggers who mannaged to come through the water supply.

what is the poo like? is it long and or clear?

ill put up a post of what i did in a sec

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Rabbit and canberra plec the fish died yesterday. It's not camallanus worms, they still stick out of the anus once the fish is moving and you can watch them moving. Have a close look at the photo and there isn't nothing there to suggest worms. It looks more like part of the bowel lining is laying where Rabbit suggests a crater. Which is why i think it's more likely prolapsed anus.

canberra_plec

Sep 22, 2009
Canberra
not always, im not disagreeing with your diagnosis as i cant see the ppics very well on this comp but the worms in plecs dont always hang out. because of the amount of waste they produce the worms are able to spread their eggs through that without showing themselves somethimes..

either way what ever it is it looks painful :(

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
not always, im not disagreeing with your diagnosis as i cant see the ppics very well on this comp but the worms in plecs dont always hang out. because of the amount of waste they produce the worms are able to spread their eggs through that without showing themselves somethimes..

either way what ever it is it looks painful :(
no comment

hooked_zeus

May 3, 2009
Townsville, Qld, Oz
Hi guys

I tried to take another picture of her, but because i had her in the freezer it done a bit of damage i think as i couldn't get any good ones. But when i was looking at her she did seem to have a small raise on her anus so like brenda said i think it may have been a prolapsed anus.

Their waste seems to be fairly normal to me, as for the gravel it is a bare bottom tanks and i do 60% water changes ever 2 weeks. which is heaps considering it was only 3 fish in that big tank. (tell me if i'm wrong though)

If it is this prolapsed anus is it contaigous or infectious to the other fish.

Thansk for everybodies input. Appreciate it

Aiden

bre

Apr 21, 2009
Newcastle, Australia
Hi Aiden.

A prolapsed anus isn't contagious or dangerous to your other fish.

The cause of a prolapsed anus is majority diet. IF a fish isn't getting the right nutrients in their systems they (like most other animals) will get constipated. A prolapsed anus is when the fish over strains to pass their waste from their bodies and expels part of the anus/intestines. It really isn't something commonly seen among fish, although I have seen 3 other cases on PF over the last 2years.

If a fish has developed this it can usually make a full recovery. It will need to have it's diet changed. Because it is a part that obviously is not meant to be out of the body it is very susceptible to infection developing so it will also need to have something added to ward off any infection. And have optimum water quality to help with the healing process. From all I have read on the subject it wont heal itself straight away. It can take weeks even months before it has healed.
There is nothing else that can be done to help it heal quicker.

I would just keep an eye on your other fish just to make sure. I am only say this as they would've been on the same diet.

Hope that helps you out Aiden.