Beach pebbles.

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Hi guys.

Just been to my local beach and picked up 4 large rounded pebbles. 3 of them passed the vinegar test, so I gave those ones a good scrub under the cold tap. Is it ok to add them straight away? Or should I steep them in a bucket or anything else I should do?
I need to set up some more territories for my Geos as I now have 2 breeding pairs with only 1 good piece of slate for them spawning on and they seem to be scrapping over the one territory.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Im always over cautious with sticks and stones (sorry) and leave them to soak for a few days pouring boiling water over them every now and again.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
If they were very difficult to scrape, and are hard and fairly round? they just need a surface wash, because they are totally impervious to water. (igneous or metamorphic rocks, probably quartz based quartzite, granite etc.)

If they were softer or more angular (or flat of with obvious bedding planes) they need a longer soak as suggested.

cheers Darrel

I

intrepidmax

I use slate and lava rock in my tanks...

but in the past I just boiled my beach pebbles. then popped them in.

Oh and if you dragged them out the silvery tay.....then I would boil them a few times just to make sure there is no ned slime or dundee scum left on them pmsl...

(Im from the city of discover nothing lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
if not sure, just boil them., and quick, those geos need them!
I had one pair spent 2 days looking where to lay, trying to clean various sites but i realised they werent quite happy as to hard to defend etc, so i moved things about so could have a big stone that was in the open and not near anything. in 10 mins they wer cleaning it and doing coutship over it and layed a few hours later.
my other pair laid on a large bit of wood

Scrapman53

Apr 21, 2009
Fife Scotland.
Cheers guys. I just gave them another scrub under the cold tap and stuck them in during a waterchange. 2 hours later, they spawned! There's a good 300-400 eggs this time and I've removed my L17 plec as he was suspected of eating Geo eggs on their first night after spawning. This morning I still have eggs, so I take it he was the culprit the last few times! Still not got another tank yet so I think they will eventually get eaten by the other pair when they are free swimming. :wb: