Bashed and fungussed L201

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I found one of my L201 really chewed up and fungus has set in already.
I took him/her out and touched the fungus area and it slurried off taking any adipose fin left with it.
I daubed betadine(liquid iodine) on it to stop bleeding and kill the fungus left.
Blew on it to dry as much as I could and dropped Prime liquid over the top to stimulate a slime coat if theres any chance of growing one back.

I medicated the tank with Protozin and a bit of aquarium salt 1teasp for good measure. Tank is well airated.

The fish seemed pretty mobile (you would be too with your butt on fire) and set itself up behind a cave where the powerhead could blow some good water circulation over it.

I am not good at doing these things at 2am. It coulda shown itself during the day when my mind is functioning lol.

As you can see, its a pretty bad injury and deep. Fins crossed it pulls thru.

C8lyn

Aug 3, 2010
Toowoomba, Qld
Owie! The poor thing!! Looks very uncomfortable!
Hopefully it'll pull through for you. You did very well with your sick zeb so fins crossed this little guy turns out the same.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hey sorry for that. I think you did all the right things and hope he will pull through. so far you have had the majic touch. must have been a tough battle, as he would not let his cave go. poor thing. cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Its still kicking this morning although breathing fast. It might be just fear of what I did to him but he's bright and alert and not on your nelly is he going to let me get any photos atm.
I might do a wc this evening just to keep the water good and add the Protozin for fungus treatment, some BigL levamisole for its immune stumulating qualities and some prime for that slime coat again.

I hope all the meds is giving that basher bully a queazy belly too.

Last edited:

Phenomena

Jul 12, 2010
Sydney
I had one worse than that. Unfortunately, it rot very quickly within the next few days regardless medication.
I thought he wouldn't make it. But he's a fighter and pulled through even though lost half of it's body. Amazing!

Good Luck with yours and don't give up until he's over.

Last edited:

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I am sure in the wild this sort of injury is quite common and repetitively easy for a fish to recover from. So as your providing the best treatment i hope all is well for the little fella.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I think you've done all the right things, best of luck but it does look nasty. You could try "Kenalog in Orabase" to dab on the wound, I've done this with cichlids when they've been damaged and it works really well.

cheers Darrel

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Ok, grav vac'd 4 buckets of mulm out with wc water. Was due for it.
Remedicated with Protozin. Added BigL levamisole for immune system and it won't hurt the recent cardinal tetras as they havent been wormed yet. Added Prime liquid to stimulate the slime coat.

He's not breathing so heavy tonight and is quite active. Plotting his revenge already on the bully male. Caught him outside that particular log.

The fungus deep in the adipose fin base is still a worry but otherwise the wound looks clean with a promise of skin pigment returning already.

If its still fluffy and not decreasing tomorrow I will catch and betadine the area again. It usually kills fungus in its tracks.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Oh this was cute too. A couple of Melini corydoras were sitting nearby like a pair of nursemaids.

When I moved closer to get a better photo of the injured L201, one of the nursemaids moved in front to protect the L201 from me.

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
It's looking a bit better already. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
I lost one of my L260 female due to the same wounds a year ago....

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
must be something in my water as it get it quite often with all the hypans and i dont treat the water at all... just let it heal up on its own....
well tell a lie i did add some melafix/pimafix once for the zebs.... :)

using tap water (treated with prime) must have its own anti fungal properties