Ammonia and Nitrite high help

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Its called a loach dance:yes:

It is cool to watch, my zebra and yoyo loaches do it too. Glad to hear though, sounds like they have recovered very well.

Infact, i just went and got this pic to show you, its not very good quality but its the 'Dance'

Thank you for letting me know what their little dance is called, the picture does show what i was trying to explain what they do and i looked up yoyo and zebra loaches, they are really lovely.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they are recovering after all they have been through.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
How about building an algae scrubber?
"The principal is very simple: You have a screen; light is aimed at the screen, and tank water is streamed over the screen. What happens is that a type of algae called "turf" starts growing on the screen (it feels very similar to artificial turf on football fields), and this turf eats ALMOST ALL the nitrate and phosphate in the water flowing over it."
"This is the OPPOSITE of a skimmer, which takes out the food/pods/plankton, but leaves in the nitrate and phosphate that you have to then get out using other means. What about fish waste that skimmers normally pull out? Well that's food too, for somebody. Only after waste decomposes completely into nitrate and phosphate is it no longer "food", and at that point the turf algae zaps it! After all, what do you think the green algae on your rocks and glass are eating? Food? No. Nitrate and phosphate!"
Here is a link that I found very interesting
http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36
HTH
Cheers

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
"The principal is very simple: You have a screen; light is aimed at the screen, and tank water is streamed over the screen. What happens is that a type of algae called "turf" starts growing on the screen (it feels very similar to artificial turf on football fields), and this turf eats ALMOST ALL the nitrate and phosphate in the water flowing over it."
"This is the OPPOSITE of a skimmer, which takes out the food/pods/plankton, but leaves in the nitrate and phosphate that you have to then get out using other means. What about fish waste that skimmers normally pull out? Well that's food too, for somebody. Only after waste decomposes completely into nitrate and phosphate is it no longer "food", and at that point the turf algae zaps it! After all, what do you think the green algae on your rocks and glass are eating? Food? No. Nitrate and phosphate!"
HTH
Cheers
hey thats really interesting. Would be good to see some feedback on how effective it is:clap::clap:

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
HTH
Cheers
Hi Shenzhenluohan

I am so sorry but i read this and to be honest it went whoosh over my head, i didnt really understand :huh: i read it a couple of times, but still didnt understand :wb:. I went to the link and still couldnt understand. I am so sorry.

Please forgive my ignorance.

Last edited:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
Ok, these were originally built for marine set-ups, but people have been using these on FW tanks with great results.
Basically you can build one very easily. First, get your screen. Any stiff material that has holes in it, like knitting backing, plastic canvas, rug canvas, gutter guard, or tank-divider will do. Try going to hardware stores, craft stores, garden stores, sewing stores.If you have a tank with a filter hatch on top of the hood, then it's super easy: Just cut a piece of screen to replace the sponge filter, and put it where the sponge filter went. Leave the hatch open, an set a strong light on it, facing down directly on the screen. For tanks without a top filter you can easily build a scrubber in a 5 Gallon pail or the like.
Here's a pic of one set up in a sump I found on the net, used on a goldfish tank.
[/IMG]

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Algal Turf Scrubber

Hi all,
As SmithRC suggests algal turf scrubbers are mainly used in marine systems, the reason they don't tend to be used so much in freshwater aquariums/aquaculture is purely that vascular plants combine a high potential growth rate with ease of harvesting, but an algal scrubber will definitely work.

The aquaculture/waste water treatment equivalent is using Reeds (Phragmites), Water Hyacinth (Eichornia) etc.

I never tested the nitrates when I was using the planted trickle filters (basically over tank plastic guttering filled with hydroleca granules, plants planted in rockwool and the water flowing over weir back into the tank), but the combination of access to atmospheric O2 and CO2, wet and dry filtration, microbial mat and vascular plant growth gives both highly oxygenated water and absolutely huge biological filtration potential. They were also very low maintenance.

cheers Darrel

I've put the abstract of a relevant paper below, please PM me if you want the full paper.

Journal of Environmental Management (1997) 50, 283–299
The Treatment of Aquaculture Wastewaters—A Botanical Approach
T Redding, S Todd and A Midlen
University of Hull International Fisheries Institute, Hull, HU6 7RX, U.K

Abstract
The wastewater from freshwater fish farming is responsible for nutrient enrichment in receiving waters. This frequently causes localised problems for the management of the freshwater environment. Conventional wastewater treatment systems are costly to install and operate. This paper investigates the potential of an alternative system. Untreated wastewater from a recirculation system used to culture fish was passed through three treatment systems containing different species of aquatic macrophyte:Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum(the emergent system);Azolla filiculoides(Lam) (the free floating system); and,Elodea nuttallii(Planch.) (the submersed system). Concentrations of ammonia-N, nitrate-N and phosphorus in all three systems was significantly reduced compared to untreated wastewater during both weekly and twenty four hour sampling regimes. The role played by microbial and bacterial populations in comparison to direct uptake by plants is discussed, as are the implications for system design. The importance of plant cropping, especially in the emergent system, is highlighted as is the potential for use of such a system in environmental management.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Algal Turf Scrubber - simple design

Hi all,
Just had a look at the link Shenzhenluohan put in. Very interesting, here's a simple design close to the planted filters I used to use (although without anything like the same filtration potential)

<http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144>

cheers Darrel

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Im going to split this thread later today, i think the algae scrubber idea and info deserves its own thread:clap: