Algae question

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Anyways, Doodles, what SA cichlids were you thinking about?
Keyholes but i like shell dwellers too which are from South Africa..

Personally i would leave the tank to cycle and not get a pleco, the brown algae will disappear once you start doing water changes. I would also set up a lower ph tank for plecos, doesn't even have to be that big but they are fascinating catfish, well worth the time and effort in their own right and not as a tool.

Tony_s

May 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I would also set up a lower ph tank for plecos, doesn't even have to be that big but they are fascinating catfish, well worth the time and effort in their own right and not as a tool.

:goodpost:

The reputation of plecos being just the "Janitor" of the tank is soo off.Sure they eat algae off the tank,but that changes once the fish matures and needs other nurishment to keep healthy.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
labs are omnivorous

Hi all,
With apologies, Francois Cichlid Forum says "omnivorous" for L. caeruleus. I have kept a pair of Yellow labs, with plants, and they ignored them, even though they do have the occasional go at the algae. Mine used to get Ad Konings shrimp mix and lots of live Gammarus, and they never bloated.

I've just looked up OB Peacock on CF, and you are right, although to be honest they are not really my sort of fish. I'd post the link to the OB Peacock info, but I'm worried about the effect it might have on Bob (Macsovg) ;).

cheers Darrel

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
As I am recovering from major heart transplant and cant have any shocks I have been advised to avoided looking at any fish apart from plecos.