174 breeding success at last

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
they are good little eaters thats for sure... no problem in that department...

i think the j-curve for growth is just about to turn upwards... done the hard yards from wriggler to 2cm...

have to find my old dick smith camera - you know the ones - point and shoot and picture comes out perfect everytime... these new cameras with 50 million different settings and auto this/that etc etc just dont seem to cut it... $250 worth of olympus camera is just crap....lol $30 dick smith job does better pics.... :lol::lol::lol:

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
Is now or never. Brazil already sold the mining right for precious metals of the Xingu riverbed below the Belo Monte Dam. They expect the river bed to start drying up for mining operation after the dam is operational in 2015.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
thats sad isnt it... but i guess its progress for the people that live there...

maybe you can breed them up in big numbers and find a suitable place to release them back into the river :)

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
There is only one collecting site for L174, it is (or soon to be 'was') at the Big Bend (Volta Grande). Since everything below Altamira will be dried up, L174 along with L46, L173 as well as most of the scribed Hypancistrus like L66, L333, L399, L400, L411 will go 'bye-bye'. Some of the scribed ones may survive further down the Xingu but the population will definitely be severely depleted.

leisure_man

Mar 24, 2014
3rd Rock from the Sun
They have been collecting the L174 seasonally. Obviously, they are getting harder and harder to find as the water has been muddy due to flooding and the dam construction. Since the FIFA World Cup has ended, shipments are coming out and I am seeing L174 and L236 available on the market.....just not the USA market.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
biggest reason why is they are prob worth more to send to other countries paying bigger bucks.... :)

well if it means the survival of a species then i agree on collection and export...

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i hope they export all Ls soon so this species can survive. Would be a shame to see certain Ls disappear due to stupidity of governments not permitting exports. Governments should be happy that people like us in the hobby love to breed all Ls type to keep their survival. cheers jk :thumbup:

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I hope so too Jan-Kurt. I can't see the Australian government changing their stance though. Quarantine took ranch dressing & mayonnaise off me at the airport after I declared it! lol

As horrible as it is I'm that people have the opportunity to catch these fish before they are killed though.

I remember running home 10 k's from school after a developer told me he would give me a chance to save some rare tortoises before he filled their home in. Sadly he lied :(