Matubula's Panaque Thread

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I haven't shared any photos for quite a while now but conditions were right last night (ie, they didn't all run off at the first sign of my camera). And I thought I'd make a central thread for my new photos since I have some extra additions to share in the coming days.

My big daddy Panaque nigrolineatus who is probably also judging me for not cleaning the glass :whistle:

And a reassuring sight when the tank is 45cm/18" and he's not quite fully stretched out.

A bunch of my Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'Xingu' and a 'Tocantins'.

My largest Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'Xingu' at about 23cm/9".

And George, my first and oldest, enjoying the flow from the pond filter.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Will you be planning any breeding attempts in the future?
Oh yes, but future is the keyword. It'll be several years before I'm in a position to have a serious go. My focus is still on the Brazilian ones (I have 10 in total) specifically the Xingu's (8 of them) given their predicament.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
love the photo's, it's the first time i have seen this kind of pleco kept in a group. what size is your tank, dimentions (alltogether) ? if i may ask :) also what pond filter are you using? i have been thinking of doing this.....

thanks for the eye candy... i found myself holding my breath at one point without realising! stunning!

thanksyou
cc

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I hate you!

That lot must produce a whole bunch of crap n sawdust, show us a full tank shot if you can?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
love the photo's, it's the first time i have seen this kind of pleco kept in a group. what size is your tank, dimentions (alltogether) ? if i may ask :) also what pond filter are you using? i have been thinking of doing this.....
The tank is a Rena something, dimensions are 150[L]x50[W]x70[H]cm with a water level of about 60cm, so 450L/100G gross. They are all housed together atm except the biggest one, he's in a 120x60x45cm 300L tank on his own.

The pond filter is a Laguna, I forget which model, I think it's one rated for a 8000L pond and has 6000lph solids pump. What tank/fish are thinking of using one for? For a lot of things it's definitely overkill but it's definitely a beast.

I hate you!

That lot must produce a whole bunch of crap n sawdust, show us a full tank shot if you can?
They do, but I don't see that much of it ^ but I try to siphon out what I can. I owe a lot of it to my Eheim 2252's, they are just monsters when it comes to internals.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
The tank is a Rena something, dimensions are 150[L]x50[W]x70[H]cm with a water level of about 60cm, so 450L/100G gross. They are all housed together atm except the biggest one, he's in a 120x60x45cm 300L tank on his own.

cheers for the responce m8
I think you must love to sit and take in those beauties.
I have 1 hand full of mollys uptop, a l75 6inch, rusty 6inch and a 3inch worm line panque, so i think that beast of a filter would send my mollys on a weirl wind adventure!!

respect and thanks
claire:thumbup:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
cheers for the responce m8
I think you must love to sit and take in those beauties.
I have 1 hand full of mollys uptop, a l75 6inch, rusty 6inch and a 3inch worm line panque, so i think that beast of a filter would send my mollys on a weirl wind adventure!!
Yes, a washing machine comes to mind:) On my other tank a Eheim 2180 and 3451 (3 x 2252) suffices for Maximus, the big Panaque nigrolineatus.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
A new fella for me to share! I've had this guy in 'quarantine' for the past month in a tank I set up in my bedroom, and managed to oust me to the spare room because the tank was too noisy. But at least he settled well and eats like a pig.

I removed the wood from the tank and took these before I moved in to the tank with the rest of my Panaque cf. armbrusteri 'Xingu' (anyone think it's otherwise? :dk:)

No flash on this one, his base colour is roughly this in the sunlight.

He measured at 14cm SL and 19cm TL and was surprisingly heavy.

RobHarrison

Mar 29, 2010
Bolton, NW Uk
:drool: Great Photos Matt, You really do have one heck of a good Panaque collection definatly the best ive ever seen, nice that they are so photogenic for you as well :clap: