HELP! rusty pleco being weird....

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I don't agree with pH shock.
I think its more temperature related or disease related.
I also don't think you should tinker with your pH. Said that in the L135 thread, still feel that way. Do think though that you need to figure out why your pH is chaning so much. Its natural for pH to lower a bit over time if water changes are not accomplished frequently enough, this is due to the fish waste products acidifying the water. However, a tank whos pH rises over time has something affecting it and some investigating is required.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Ok cheers Lorne I toke you advice and didnt tinker with ph after i was told not to.
I have been adding a cupof water conditoned tap wat every 5 minutes.

My wife bought back a new kit to check if my other kit was corredt - we got a API test stip kit as suggested by d-mac in another thread. It read

GH -180
KH120
PH 6.8
no2 0
no3 160......

Could it be Nitrate problems because i need to do more frequent water changes?
the natural nitrates in the tap water is 60 the ph was 7......

some more helppppppppppp please!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Ok cheers Lorne I toke you advice and didnt tinker with ph after i was told not to.
I have been adding a cupof water conditoned tap wat every 5 minutes.

My wife bought back a new kit to check if my other kit was corredt - we got a API test stip kit as suggested by d-mac in another thread. It read

GH -180
KH120
PH 6.8
no2 0
no3 160......

Could it be Nitrate problems because i need to do more frequent water changes?
the natural nitrates in the tap water is 60 the ph was 7......

some more helppppppppppp please!

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey ev31- just thought i would let you know that the ph has increased to 7.3 and the rusty has returned to normal!!!! YAY! looks like it was the PH- but i am working hard to get the no2 and 3 to lower levels. Going to pick up so RO water for the nitrate ( i read this on another site - is this correct)
Am planning to do every day 20% water changes to get the amonia down to 0.
Good plan or not
After its down to 0 will continue with every other day 10% water changes?!?!

thanks for all the help and suggestions
Cole

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
hey jack

Was doing a 25% ev3 5 days - i changed the ph because my test kit i had said it was 8 and would register nemore.
The No3 is now down to 80 at least....

but the ph has risen to 7.5?!?!

cheers
cole

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I would say nitrates are a definite problem.

Try testing your tap water as well, would help in developing a strategy/approach to handling your water conditions.

[EDIT] Just saw your tap readings. Would say that is the problem. Kinda interesting you haven't seen issues in the past. Might have to look at RO or HMA water to use for your water changes.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
Have a look at the date on the test kit to make sure its still in date...I do recommend these as I find no issues with them at all, but something is not right here...I would be inclined to take a water sample to an lfs you trust, just to confirm your tapwater readings are the same as your test kit...I use these kits every day and haven't had a prob yet, but there is always a first time.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
test kit has a year and half left... I am going to lfs so will take it in tomorrow. If it the same do you have any ideas? cheers cole