How the hell do you get a tetra tec ex 1200 to stop leaking?????

Apr 28, 2009
Christmas Island
:wb::wb::wb::wb:OMFG i can not get this thing to stop leaking. I remember reading on pf the same thing has happened to other people, and just wondered what the flaming cure is?????? tried the normal things, like re setting the rubber seal, adding vaseline, pvc tape etc And it giving me nothing. Help please:hi:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Got the same problem with mine, been leaking for months. changed o ring, added lube, didnt help. Ive found if you put up with the leak for a couple of days it stops. Would be interested to find out more info too.

Sems to leak from different places too, like where the pipes connect to the motor, then if that stops it starts somewhere else

If i remember rightly, it was scrapman that had a prob with his.

Jo Crane

Apr 23, 2009
Cheshire
www.rareaquatics.co.uk
Hi
It's the seal on the tap unit that is leaking into the powerhead then down the sides I have had this happen with each 1200 ex I have had I always have a spare tap unit and seal now it is just one of them faults that is common with this filter I have had 2 replaced by tetra tec but this alone is a hassle if you dont have a spare to transfer all the media too.
I will look for the link for the taps

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Thanks Jo. The tap things have o rings too, would changing them help?
I think i bought some but didnt put them on.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Get a very strong plastic bag place the unit in the bag tie the bag and burn the item.

Buy a Eheim

Job Done

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
sshhh you two:p
I voted for fluval, never had any probs with them.

ok thanks Jo:D

SmithRC

Apr 21, 2009
Newport Pagnell
I've found the same problem with my fluvals - when you remove the taps the water gets into the top housing... it then slowly runs down the sides of the unit.

I'v found that being more careful when unplugging the taps and it'll only leak a little bit...

That siad - I have my leaky one (I've got 4 in total) sat in a tupperware ;)

Apr 28, 2009
Christmas Island
Phoned tetra this morning on this number 0080076688766 and they are sending out the replacement part free of charge.:clap: And the only details they wanted to know was the date of purchase and where its leaking from. Give it a go Lisa:hi:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Thats a good result. I tried to get mine replaced through them a while back but got nowhere, and now the other ex1200 and ex2400 have started to leak and worse. I used to think the sun shined out of their impeller shafts but now im agreeing with macvsog23, just buy eheim.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
I didnt know you could get good quality products in Dingoland Rabbit. I would have thought you lot would be using Fluval:lol:

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Phoned tetra this morning on this number 0080076688766 and they are sending out the replacement part free of charge.:clap: And the only details they wanted to know was the date of purchase and where its leaking from. Give it a go Lisa:hi:
Ok will do, thanks Darryl.

And glad they are sorting it for you:yes:

Ill let ya know.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
All of the new ones have had the problem rectified. Could be worth giving them another call Matt,they might not have known about the problem when you called them first.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I didnt know you could get good quality products in Dingoland Rabbit. I would have thought you lot would be using Fluval:lol:

Cheers

thegeeman
On trip to the land of jumping mice I saw a few Eheim units but sadly around 4 times the UK price.

Breamlegend

Apr 22, 2009
Central Coast NSW Australia
the o-rings went on my eheim taps. I remember I bought a box of various o rings from my local hardware for $4.00. A quick search and I found some that fitted! Not sure what genuine ones would cost even if I could find them