what snail is this?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,this snail and loads others very much like it has popped up in my big tank.
any idea what type,and should i remove them?:

sorry for the pics.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
ni idea what its called but i have lots the same. i squash then against the glass and the corys and tetra like to eat them when squashed.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
agree comes in with plants or live food. eats plants thought. Use finger, crush and let the fisg eat...cheers jk :clap:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
lol,just crushed 7 off them,tetras and betta went nuts eating them.:clap:
ive also just been called a "snail murderer" by my boy..:wb:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Looks like a young Greater Pond Snail (Lymnaea stagnalis), best to remove them as they eat anything and reproduce like mad (the eggs are in the "jelly" you get on the leaves of Water lilies etc.). If the shell was quite tough it was definitely one of these, if the shell is thinner it might be a Bladder snail - Physa acuta or fontinalis, these stay much smaller and are better behaved.

Pond Snail
http://www.arkive.org/great-pond-snail/lymnaea-stagnalis/

Bladder Snail
http://www.weichtiere.at/english/gastropoda/freshwater2.html

cheers Darrel

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I have some, i think they are the bladder snail. Very thin shell and they dont munch on any plants, they also dont grow very big. I saw one floating around the nano the other night, very comical.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Good point from Irene, shells will be less hard in softer water.
I have some, i think they are the bladder snail. Very thin shell and they dont munch on any plants, they also dont grow very big. I saw one floating around the nano the other night, very comical.
Sounds like the Bladder Snail - Physella acuta, no problem in the tank and snail eating fish love them (so a good food source for Puffers, Synodontis cats, loaches etc.).

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
you could also try garlic, parsley and some butter, heated in the pan, then your son might not call you murderer again but hunter and feeder .....:whistle: