to many plants?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi, it poss to have 2 many plants?
i friend of mine looked at a pic of my tank and he said theres to many plants in there.
i dont think there is,all the fish can swim freely around the tank ok.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
i friend of mine looked at a pic of my tank and he said theres to many plants in there. i dont think there is, all the fish can swim freely around the tank ok.
People tell me this all the time about the tanks, the pond and the garden, I just ignore them. It is your tank, you have it how you want it, "more plants = better water quality". I also think the argument that you "can't see the fish" isn't true, if fish like to hide away it is better to give them that option than to stress them by forcing them into the open. I can only ever see the tails of my L129, and I've almost never seen them in the day in the last year, but their tails look in good condition and I'm willing to believe that the rest of the fish is.

In water quality terms you can only have too many plants if they begin to reduce flow, or cover the water surface, to the extent that aeration is compromised at night.

Most fish are less stressed in a complex plant filled environment, even for fish like black water tetras or Apistogramma, plants can stand in for the complex environment created by wood & leaf litter.

For fish that really do come from a plant free environment (Malawi Mbuna, Hypancistrus zebra etc) you can have the plants in a seperate tank (a lighted sump) or you can grow them in an overtank trickle filter etc.

The only planted tanks I don't like are the "Iwagumi" style (below), and I feel sorry for the fish in these.

I don't do aquascaping, so here is one of mine, just after a trim:

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
your tank, your choice, fish love more plants, also sign of good tank water. I also agree with Darrel, poor fish in those tanks. chhers jk :thumbup:

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
"poor fish in those tanks." Why? Not every fish lives in a habitat with plants and at the end of the day the plants are still in that tank and still helping to keep the water quality good.
This is true, but very few small fish live in open situations, they are just too vulnerable to predation by larger fish, fish eating birds etc.

I prefer the "Iwagumi" style to having no plants or structure, but the fish can see out of these clear tanks with no backing, and there is no cover for them to hide in and this causes them to shoal really tightly. Tight shoaling is the response to a perceived threat, where there is no cover to hide in and no alternative.

The fish in photo are stressed fish because they are shoaling tightly. Over time (and as more generations are bred in captivity) some fish may become habituated to their environment, and its perceived threats, at which point they will stop shoaling continually, and then only show it as response to some new threat stimulus.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think if you were going to start the argument that it is not natural and poor fish then if you wanted natural there would be no plants a great massive torrent running through my house and I wouldn't be able to see my fish anyway because it would be almost black.

Fish do like some cover though. Nothing wrong with lots of planting.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well the tank is open at the front,loads off room to swim around,and plant heavy at the back and left side.1 more plant to cover the front off the horid looking filter on the right hand side and thats it.loads of hiding spots,but its only my 2 plecs that hide..!