The peps have finally done it!!

GREGT

Apr 13, 2012
aldinga south australia
Well after around 7 months of having my pep trio my boy is on eggs!!!I sold the original male two weeks ago and bought a new mature male,the first night he was in the tank my two big girls were keen(they never paid any attention to the other boy).5 days ago i decided to take the sand out the tank for the bare bottom approach and in the process did a water change of around 50+%.
Now the slate cave has a huge spawn in it and the male is fanning away like a champion,in between fighting of the second female who is frantically trying to get inside.

PH is around the 7.0 mark there is a slight ammonia reading(very slight) thats all thats tested
the tank is a standard 4 ft is running a fluval F3 canninster,two sponge filters and a fluval U4 internal
It houses the adult trio and 6 sub adults(and last weeki added 5 baby 202s and 3 baby 333s(only in there till the new tanks cycled)

do you think the second female will be allowed in?he seems pretty keen to keep her out...

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Hi, well done, he may let her in after a while.
I wonder if the male they would not breed with was a sibling from same parents?

GREGT

Apr 13, 2012
aldinga south australia
Hi..thanks..the question has been answered,he has her in there now :clap:...

Im not sure on if they were related or not,all i do know is the new boy has done the trick :)

i just hope he hatches them and they dont end up all over the tank...

GREGT

Apr 13, 2012
aldinga south australia
Well i got up this morning and checked the tank,no second spawn but day 3 for the batch and hes kicked em :wb: scooped em up and put them to the fry saver...see how we go....

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
They help keep the eggs clean, and the fry saver. Btw, I meant IAL, Indian Almond Leaf, I found this better then driftwood for the frys to begin with, I lost my last spawn, males had a disagreement one night, all gone!

GREGT

Apr 13, 2012
aldinga south australia
day 5 and we have hatchlings :clap:..the cherry shrimp got straight to work when i put them in yesterday,there were a few with fungus..theyre gone and the eggs were cleaned up nicely...now just to raise them...:D

chee78

Mar 10, 2012
South Australia
It does not hurt to leave them in! Once their egg sacks are nearly gone, I put a 5mm slice of zucchini in on a fork, blanch it quickly to soften it, I have better success doing this, don't remove the seed section, I see them starting in this area first, if you change water, make sure it's small and not too much temp change, I have stop using algae wafers until there are in the grow out tank (2-3 months), this has been my experience, hopes it helps in some way.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Yep the shrimp will help keep that bacterial slime off the sides, juvies dont cope well eating it. I try to hold off on fish foods as well until the fry are really eating veg properly on their own.