Tanks too deep?

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I remember reading an article ages ago, it basically suggested that a lot of fish tanks are too deep for corydoras, and that when they have to surface for air they really struggle to get to the top which is a stressful experience for them.

Im guessing this could be true for babies or very small ones, but in general??

Anyone else have any views??

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
:hi:

As you know i dont yet keep corys ( hopefully will do in the future as they are beautiful) anyway your post got me looking and i found a site that says ( from what i understand) they prefer shallow tanks, but no reason as to why.

So i guess putting any in my larger tank is now out of the question as it is deep.

http://fish.mongabay.com/corydoradinae.htm

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
I'm not sure with this one, in the wild I assume a lot of the rivers are deeper than our fish tanks. I've a 2 ft deep tank where C. napoensis are always near the surface milling around the plants and they love it up there! and there is often young growing on in the tank. But on the other hand I'm sure I've also seen articles suggesting to keep youngsters in shallow water and raise the level as they grow.
Any other opinions?

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
But on the other hand I'm sure I've also seen articles suggesting to keep youngsters in shallow water and raise the level as they grow.
Any other opinions?
Is this for cory fry in particular? I've seen breeding accounts for many fish where this strategy is utilized. I think the theory is that it keeps the food items concentrated so the babies don't have to look far to eat. As they grow & require more room the water lvel is raised.

Paul_fox

May 7, 2009
UK
Everyone I know that breeds corys in the CSG seems to do so in shallow tanks, about 10-12" have to admit, not sure if its needed of just cos its easier? having said that, my adult sterbai are in a 26" deep tank, which is a pain in the **** tbo

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I wish I could remember where I read it:wb:
It could just be another one of those urban myths but.......:dk:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I posed this question a couple years ago on another forum when I bought a new tank which is 70cm tall. the replies I got said that the height thing is a myth, within reason. I have had C. paleatus for 2 years in this tank and even had eggs a couple times. I wouldn't worry too much unless you have a VERY tall tank.
HTH