tank mates for L46

Scooby333

Jun 14, 2013
UK // Leicester
I need some tank mates for these guys but I don't know which fish can live in 29-30°c with my l46 at the moment I've got glowlight tetras, couple of flying fox and cherry shrimp. Cherry shrimp should be fine in 29° but tetras and foxes will die I bet. So what you guys have in your tanks, what you recommend ?
Thanks.

Doodle

May 4, 2009
Bracknell
I need some tank mates for these guys but I don't know which fish can live in 29-30°c with my l46 at the moment I've got glowlight tetras, couple of flying fox and cherry shrimp. Cherry shrimp should be fine in 29° but tetras and foxes will die I bet. So what you guys have in your tanks, what you recommend ?
Thanks.
My zeb are in a tank at the temp 28 and i have cardinal tetras and some corydoras with no issues yet.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
rummy nose tetras also can tolerate higher temps and also they show if your water is good or bad. The more colour they have in their tail black white and red head, the better the water is. I would not add any more bottom dwellers, just have the L046, especially if you are investing a lot in them and you wish to breed. Just my thoughts cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Flying foxes will compete too quickly for the food and the zebs will miss out.
I wouldn't have them in there.
Cardinal tetras are ok. You could add a lemon tetra or two to the group. They will pretend they are cardinals.
I even have about 20 penguin tetras in one tank. They pretty much stay up high in the tank but you will have to feed them flake or mozzie larvae or something they can catch in the current.
Do NOT put female guppies or female endlers in there. They will eat kicked out eggs and even puncture wrigglers egg sacks and eat it. I've seen them do it.

Lots of cherry shrimp is good. That's pretty much all I have in my zeb tanks. They sit on the sponge filters and look pretty. Clean the inside of tank of slime build up. Busy little things.

ajm

Aug 24, 2013
South Australia
I have cherry shrimp too, a school of black neons who cope with the temp and stick to the top only to feed. I have a small trio of flag tailed panda corys who also cope well with temp and leave the zebs alone, I have these as with only two zebs in my tank the food can be left uneaten and this attracts my snails which are NOT welcome but flourishing! I recently also added just one Farowella cat which again copes really well in the temp and water conditions. My tank currently is a lovely little eco system, looking forward to adding more zebs in the future though and will re-think any of the tank mates should they interfere when it comes to breeding - a few years away yet though!