Tank cycling ?

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
The tank cycle seems to have hit a glitch, nitrite has gone back up to a reading of 0.5 and we are stumped :huh:

I am not sure if doing a PWC would help or hinder, What do you think?

The only thing i can think of is the nitrifying bacteria being affected by the mistake made by adding too much ammonia and our PH has dropped to 7.4.

Should we just wait it out?

Should we do a PWC?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i wouldnt have thought the ph drop as its not a great amount would have affected the cycle, i think i remember reading back along that its ok as long as it doesnt drop below 6 or swing too rapidly

to be honest if i was you, and the ammonia & nitrite are dropping right down within the timeframe aloud then i would say the cycle was complete and perform the 100% water change and fully stock, but thats just me id wait for others opinions before doing anything i suggest lol

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
i wouldnt have thought the ph drop as its not a great amount would have affected the cycle, i think i remember reading back along that its ok as long as it doesnt drop below 6 or swing too rapidly

to be honest if i was you, and the ammonia & nitrite are dropping right down within the timeframe aloud then i would say the cycle was complete and perform the 100% water change and fully stock, but thats just me id wait for others opinions before doing anything i suggest lol
I am sure i have read that about the PH somewhere to.

The nitrite was dropping to 0-0.25 now its dropping to 0.5 ( yesterday evening reading and this morning reading).

I will pass on your suggestion to hubby unfortunately we cant do anything until the sunday at the earliest, so will see what happens between now and then.

As always your opionion and others are greatly valued and welcome.

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
Hi all me and bubbles have some good news we are finally putting our fish in the big tank this afternoon :woohoo: :woohoo: its been a long and sometimes difficult cycle but its over :clap: :clap:

We have learned alot from doing this fishless cycle we made a few mistakes :wb:(most of them by me, a big sorry to my very paitent wife bubbles love you babe <3) but we have learned from them which can only be a good thing for any future tanks we may get, although this has certainly cured me of my multiple tank sydrome (if only in the short term !)

We would like to thank all the people on here that have helped with advice over the last few weeks and another big thanks to smithrc for the help with the reseal :clap: thank you all very much.

We will get some pics of the fish in their new home and post them on here soon ok

many thanks again

gooner

May 13, 2009
milton keynes
We have done it :woohoo: our large tank has now got our :

2 common plecs
5 clown loaches
and 8 odessa barbs

all swimming around happily the clown loaches are even sleeping on their sides already i cant believe how well they have settled in so quickly (fingers crossed they are all ok in the morning)

After seeing the fish in the tank tonight i think my mts is already rearing its ugly head again :yes:

Princess x

May 12, 2009
Dorset
Excellent news :clap: well done both of you i had every confidence you's see it through :woohoo: now all that's left is to bug you for pics :D

Bubbles

Apr 23, 2009
Milton Keynes
Excellent news :clap: well done both of you i had every confidence you's see it through :woohoo: now all that's left is to bug you for pics :D
:lol:

Thank you i am relieved its done.

I am doing my best not to keep checking on them every 5 minutes :D

Will be posting pics in the near future B-)