suggest me a very good filter

so as title says i need a very good filter for my 1 ft tank so far only has a hang on filter which does not suck in the bn poop and tank gets very dirty i was thinking on getting and undergravel filter even though my tank has no gravel any suggestion on other filter or will undergravel filter suck in the small bn
my tank currently has 9 bn altogether 2 are about 7cm other 9 are only 3cm and 1 cherry shrimp which im not sure if still alive

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Any of the small eheim or fluval canisters would do the job very well. If your budget does not stretch that far there are some very good cheaper canisters out there like some of the aquaone models.

That's a pretty small tank with a decent amount of bioload dropping into it each day.

You need gravel for an under gravel filter to work as it is intended.

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
I rate the eheim 2012 & if you have an airstone consider replacing it with a sponge filter for extra filtration because you know how dirty BN are ;)

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
The 2010 & 2008 are good too. Make a decent current & also can add air diffuser.
I have a small tank on my bench & use one of them & sponge filters are very underrated

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
so far only has a hang on filter which does not suck in the bn poop and tank gets very dirty
You don't want faecal matter in the filter, you only want the ammonia that your fish continually diffuses from your fishes gills.

You need to syphon out organic matter like faeces and uneaten food.

Biological filtration is a process that needs a lot of oxygen, and if the filter is clogged with faeces and food, you run the very real risk that the water will become de-oxygenated.

I have a syphon every couple of days (when I'm doing a water change).

cheers Darrel

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Wow all of those fish in a 1foot tank ? ANyway i would buy a hang on filter for your purpose. Not only will it stir up the water but will aid in water cleanlyness. Post a photo when you have the full set up set up ? Cheers jk :thumbup:

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Start saving for a 3ft tank. Once the fish get big you will need it. Couple of air sponge filters, an ehiem pickup internal to catch debris and an ehiem classic 2215 canister and you will be set for breeding lots of fry. :)