Shell dwelling Cichlids

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I have always been interested but never really branched out into getting any. Does anyone have any? or have had?

J

jamous91

Yes i have had neolamprologus brevis and there so cute and adorable and very easy to keep and breed

sjones_1

Mar 4, 2010
Midlands and Cambridge
These probably weren't what you meant when you asked about shell dwelling cichlids but I recently got some shell dwelling Malawi cichlids. They're called Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' (possibly now called Metriaclima lanisticola).

They're a lovely fish that are powder blue with some yellow in the fins.

When they are young they use shells as cover but when they get larger they don't require the shells any more. A brooding female will spit her fry into a shell for cover.

Sam

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
During my African craze, I had, loved and breed the golden ocellatus.
Stunning fish. Had fine sand and shells all over the place. They would then shift the sand and place the shell under the gravel, so just the shell opening would be showing. Absolutely great fish to keep and watch. I kept 10 of them in a 100liter tank. cheers jk :thumbup:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
These probably weren't what you meant when you asked about shell dwelling cichlids but I recently got some shell dwelling Malawi cichlids. They're called Maylandia livingstonii 'Nakantenga Island' (possibly now called Metriaclima lanisticola).

They're a lovely fish that are powder blue with some yellow in the fins.

When they are young they use shells as cover but when they get larger they don't require the shells any more. A brooding female will spit her fry into a shell for cover.

Sam
They look nice:yes: thank you for the photos

During my African craze, I had, loved and breed the golden ocellatus.
Stunning fish. Had fine sand and shells all over the place. They would then shift the sand and place the shell under the gravel, so just the shell opening would be showing. Absolutely great fish to keep and watch. I kept 10 of them in a 100liter tank. cheers jk :thumbup:
Nice:yes:
What PH did you keep them in?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
to be honest I cant remember the PH but was on the hard side. Had shell grit and sand as bottom substrate with the shells and white coral rock as cover
cheers jk :thumbup: