Reliable Heaters

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
When people visit, i keep hearing stories of heaters jamming on and cooking the inhabitants of a tank, not saying it happens a lot, but it obviously happens.

I use Visitherm heaters on my tanks, they are a mid range heater to me, not cheap, but not dear.

What could be done to stop a heater jamming on ?

I

intrepidmax

I hate heaters, from exploding heaters to cheap hong kong crap that stop working all together......im fed up with blinkin heaters.

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
LOL. Iv never had a heater lock on, but i have had them blow without reason leaving the tank to go cold.
I now use 2 heaters per tank one at 28dgc and one at 24dgc this prevents the the water from going cold due to the second heater kicking in.
HTH

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
I've used Jager heaters for many years and never had a problem. They are made by Eheim and are one of the few that carry a three year guarantee. They are also very economical to run.

Still have two per tank though, just to be on the safe side ... LOL !

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have two in my larger tanks. I find eheim good.
I guess secret is to not buy too cheap, and replace after 5 years or so

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Thanks Irene and Elaine
I've had a few people around picking up fish and the three people that mentioned it were all long term fish keepers, around 30 years or more.

I see Hydor is advertising heaters with thermostats, basicly a probe with a temperature control unit outside the tank, but it dosn't look like it would shut off a heater if the temperature got too high.

I think i'll be better to replace them around the 5 year old, and also start using Jager heaters.

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
This the one ?

http://www.aquarium-products.co.uk/Hydor_External_Heater_300_watt.htm

I tried this over a year ago on my zeb tank and didn't like it at all. The room temp seemed to affect it's performance greatly and the constant clicking off and on drove me mad. It didn't last long and was replaced by an old Jager which managed to keep the temp much more stable ...... without driving me round the twist LOL !

Personally, I would give this one a miss and get two new Jager instead .

Last edited:

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Heard good things about the new rena and fluval ones. Cant comment myself as i havent used either. I dont like juwel ones too much, i have one that wont go above 25c no matter how high you turn it, my old man has the same problem with his.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Heard good things about the new rena and fluval ones. Cant comment myself as i havent used either. I dont like juwel ones too much, i have one that wont go above 25c no matter how high you turn it, my old man has the same problem with his.
Same here. I use the Rena SmartHeater, by far the best heater ive had. Its great if your using an external too.

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
While most heaters are generally reliable they can all have faults. Visitherm,hagen,eheim, Interpet and Tetra are all heaters that I have had problems with in the past. I stock the Sera range of heaters now and have done so for the last 4 years and in this time I have found them to be the most reliable heater I have ever sold. They also come with a 5 year warranty and a heater guard as standard