plant advice

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok, I am rescaping again, anyone know tall plant that will stand up to L128's? I want to hide hydra-sponge filter, perfer live plants.

thanks , Georgine

L273

Oct 5, 2010
worcester, UK
java fern, anubias species can be attached to wood etc and can stand l128's rasping away at the leaves.

i've found some cryptocorne sp. to be quite hardy but just make sure the 128's get enough veg to keep them away from the plants.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks L273,
sounds good , gonna try them , and my phantoms get a good variety of veggies , so no prob there . :)
Georgie

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks dmac and L273 for the plant advice. I put a nice clump of java fern in the main tank ( after q-tank for 2 weeks) , tied to a rock and nobody is touching it :woohoo: --looks so much better than the ugly fakies and the fish harlequin raspboras and other dither fish have a nice place to sleep. The L128's don't bother with it ...many thanks

Georgie

D-MAC

Jul 24, 2009
Lossiemouth
www.danditropicals.co.uk
thanks dmac and L273 for the plant advice. I put a nice clump of java fern in the main tank ( after q-tank for 2 weeks) , tied to a rock and nobody is touching it :woohoo: --looks so much better than the ugly fakies and the fish harlequin raspboras and other dither fish have a nice place to sleep. The L128's don't bother with it ...many thanks

Georgie
Hi Georgie.
Good to hear it working out :thumbup:

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
ok, so went back to the store and bought more java fern. Did my usual ritual of 90 sec bleach dip(10%bleach,90%water) ,then good rinse ,then in tall vase with treated (Prime) water for 2 weeks q-time. This is my usual plant ritual and never had problem , but now I notice small holes in the ferns, pin-size. Wonder what it is from ? Never saw this before . Could it be a lack of fertilizer prob ? I have never used them . I do take some water out of the tank with nitrates and add to the q-vase every so often. Not sure I should put it in the tank next week.
Any advice/ideas would be helpful. I also have a small anubus plant in there wtih it ,but looks fine.
thanks , Georgie

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
IME sometimes when you buy a batch of java fern, it will die back to the Ryzone(sp.) and come back from there. but not to worry it comes back pretty quick.

zeebo

Jun 11, 2010
ct ,usa
thanks stan, hummm , ok but it is not really dying back, more it has pin holes in the leaves. thought a critter might have beat the bleach dip .... ok, as it is not dying back , still ok to put in main tank ? appreciate ... sorry i am a little paranoid here...thanks

Georgie