New tank set up help

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Going to be getting a new tank in next few weeks. Will be 250L roughly.
Trying to work out what set up to use with substrate and filtering.
Thinking of having silica sand in it, with a few plants, driftwood and caves for the plecos to hide in. Would this be OK for them?
For the filtration system was going to use a canister filter and want to have UV in it too. Would one of the Sunsun filters with built in UV be good. Have found a few that do 100lph-1400lph for a good price. Or should I go for something like a fluval with in line UV?
Thanks

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ok sounds good so far. Silica sand is fine. Have a least one cave per pleco. use driftwood. Plants use the hardy ones like anubius on driftwood etc. What type of L and how many are you thingking of getting ? Give the tank 3-4 weeks to settle in when complete. I have never used U/V filter before. Why do you wish one ? If I would go for one I would go for an Eheim 2217 cannister and seperate U/V filter. just my thoughts cheers Jk :thumbup:

Jan 10, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Thanks for reply.
Am thinking of getting an L140, couple of bristlenoses, a longfin albino bristlenose, a L021, a L046 if can find one, a L083, a L128 or L200. Will also be looking at some other fish for middle and top dwelling.
I had problems with tanks in the past of having small algae blooms even when out of sunlight and doing 2-3 water changes a week. From doing research, have read quite a bit about UV being helpful with this.
I have heard a lot of good things about Eheims, just seem very expensive where I have looked.

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Be cautious with some of the plecos you are looking at when it comes to diet and adult size of the fish.

Set up sounds fine, but a bit more research on species will go a long way.
I have always used UV's as a method of countering algae blooms and water borne pathogens. It does not hurt to run a UV steriliser.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
be careful they have different diet needs and you will have fights when they get older. reduce it to all M tank or just 2-3 types of L, but you have chosen a lot. cheers jk