L-46 & L-260 Mass breeding Farm

b0ot

Jun 3, 2009
GA
it would be nice to see this in other countries, thus makin it easier to obtain f1 zebras and other various L#'s at a cheaper price.

I

intrepidmax

Wow
Now this is the kind of thing I would like to open in the uk if I could.....But Im going To breed all different types of Hypancistrus.....If possible I would like to breed every different L numbered hypancistrus......obviously not mass produce for export....My sheds not gonna be that big lol......But I will be soon Looking for another 12 3ft tanks....I have worked out that In my first shed I could have 9 3ft tanks on either side of the shed with a just less than 4ft walkway in between.....so that's 18 tanks....and that's just for starters....(Im planning to have 2 of these sheds) bringing the total number of tanks to 36 x 3fts.....that's alot of plecs and hopefully alot of breeding plecs. the financial gain is well probably non existant and may not even pay the electricity and maybe only cover feeding costs.....So we will have to wait and see..

After all the insullation is going to cost me a small fortune...but I cant wait to get this project rolling...

b0ot

Jun 3, 2009
GA
nice, I thought about same thing and started the project myself. After having 17 tanks up and running and fighting my wife over keeping the fish room above 70 degrees (she loves cold weather) the heating for my tanks cost me a fortune for just a month.So i had no choice but to downsize to only 8 tanks and Ive sold more hypancistrus I cant make up my mind what I want to concentrate on breeding myself. I want to continue my 46 project. just get some rather nice strain of 411's in ,but they only 3 inchers and not quite fully mature. I do have

Currently breeding -
L134
L66 (just sold my trio)
L-333(Gold)
L260

Unsuccessful breeding thus far -
L-333(white)
L-411
L-236(Rio Iriri)--- Note: VERY STUBBORN!!
L-174(no male)
L-046(brand new colony 2m/3f)

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
it would be nice to see this in other countries, thus makin it easier to obtain f1 zebras and other various L#'s at a cheaper price.
The only way i can see them being mass produced is if they are hormone induced. Just look at how guppies and other mass produced fish have turned out........weak, poor health and washed out colours. and the only way you are going to get F1 fry is from wild caught fish and i really cant see them breeding F1's for long. Im happy to pay a premium for wild caught or F1's spawned in as natural an environment as possible.