Help in ID and Sexing 2 plecos!

nxlxd

Sep 3, 2023
Singapore
Hello am new here but I really needed help with this! So for my life I thought this L201 snowball was a female based on the genitalia but someone is insisting it's a male so any help is much appreciated on that! Also separate question, is this a L399? Sorry for the multiple questions!photo_2023-09-03_15-34-47.jpg

nxlxd

Sep 3, 2023
Singapore
Oh nono 2 separate fish but it doesn't allow me to send an image of the supposed 399 because it takes up too much space :confused::confused:,would you say that L201 is a female or male? I have read up on it but I still get a lot of mixed responses but I personally feel it's a female?

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

Then resize the image.

If you'd read the article on gender determination, you'd know that it's best to use an overhead photo - exactly overhead, so you can judge body shape.
It's also better to see for yourself, because there are always optical illusions in photos.

You can be lucky with the genital papilla. With your picture, a determination based on the genital papilla is not possible.

Greetings
Elko

Reactions: nxlxd

L-ko

Global Moderators
Staff member
Oct 15, 2010
Weimar, Germany
www.welsfans.de
Hi,

I don't see anything against l399.
But without an exact indication of origin, no one can say with certainty which wormline Hypancistrus it is.

Greetings
Elko

Reactions: nxlxd