Geophagus Surinamensis

Derek

Apr 27, 2012
Edinburgh
I have 6 of these guys in my tank at the moment the largest being about 4 inches. The rest of the tank consists of corries, panaque and 25 penguin tetras. The question im asking is will the penguins be safe when the Geos are fully grown? The Panaque and corries I imaging should be ok.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
From what Ive read, they are more peaceful than most cichlids and shouldn't bother the tetras or any smaller fish.

Adriantheone

Apr 1, 2010
In a cave on a cliff
Sounds like a nice set of fish, shouldn't have any problems with the geo's they are quite peaceful and will tolerate smaller fish, even better when introduced at a young age, so all good! Any chance of some tankshots?

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
They will eat smaller tetras! i have seen it first hand when Brians Geos where lodging in my tank for a weekend.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I have geophagus tapajos, smaller than the surinams, and they will take most tetras, mine have even taken panda cory's in the past

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Your tank is going to be much to small for the Geo's...
I have 6 Geophagus Tapajos Red heads in a 1.60m tank, 550L. It's to small for them as they have paired up and frequently have free swimming fry. I'm changing to a 3m tank this summer to provide them enough space.
I know that Tapajos are much more active and territorial than most other species of Geophagus but still, your tank is going to be way to small for your type.