filters with UV

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have a Vecton plumbed into my big 5ft tank in the study and I think it helps with water qual and have had no infections etc. So I am happy with that.

When I got my smaller 90l tank ine the lounge set up with Zebs in, hubby said given the value of teh fish I should try UV there - but I did not want too much plumbing and wiring etc in the main living room. So I bought an external filter which also had a UV bulb built in. (Aquael unimax). Nice filter but UV proved a bit problamatic. anyway eventually got it working, then after a year decided I should replace the uv bulb as they reckon it is less effective after a year. So I bought two new bulbs , so had a spare, BUT despite best efforts could not get the thing to work again! filter is fine, just the UV bit.
Anyway then spotted the new filters tehy have -Internal LED UV. The idea of LED really appealed cos they are long lasting and dont need the big hot transformer the other bulb needed. Plus they are relatively cheap!
So have bought a couple to try.
SO far so good, really neat and well designed and quiet. Will see how they survive over time.
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/aquael-internal-filter-p-1405.html

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
thanks, it says the bulbs go for 10000 hours (thats a year and a bit) then they reduce efficiency a bit, when it looks like its not working for your tank -eg more green algae back etc then you buy a new one (dont replace bulbs cos I guess by then the motor and aother parts have not so long to live).
thanks graham -yes i saw them on that site, but not actually cheaper as they charged more for postage! so I used charterhouse cos I have dealt with them before and found them to be good. swings and roundabouts .
anyway I am impressed so far. (shame i spend so much on the big canister one!! that was about £200-live and learn)

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
yes if they do their job they will pay for themslves on saving cost of meds! never mind the way they help to stop infection spreading.
I find sometimes an old fish who is dying of old age (eg tetra or guppy) will develop a bit of fin rot or something as their immune system packs up, but this gives a risk of spores in the water passing to other fish, so its good to know spores are all killed in the UV.